Pistol caliber, lever action, all weather...which one?

Rate this topic

mybeach

My friend suggested the marlin 1849 in another thread. Solid suggestion indeed.

requirements:

lever action

all weather finish, composite stock

stainless or finish like on my marine magnum

10 round capacity max

prefer .357 .38 + P why? Commonality across my arsenal.

budget? Does it really matter? Yes, $1000.00 is a good number, the Henry comes in less than that. 

other features are just gravy. 

16 hours ago, mybeach said:

My friend suggested the marlin 1849 in another thread. Solid suggestion indeed.

requirements:

lever action

all weather finish, composite stock

stainless or finish like on my marine magnum

10 round capacity max

prefer .357 .38 + P why? Commonality across my arsenal.

budget? Does it really matter? Yes, $1000.00 is a good number, the Henry comes in less than that. 

other features are just gravy. 

I'd rate Winchester, Marlin, Uberti, Henry in that order.  I have at least one of each in various cal.  None stainless.

45 is the top choice if you need game stopping power.  357 most fun to shoot.

If you want the final word in quality, look to what the Best Cowboy Action Shooters use. They only use the best as one jam can lose a World or National Championship. My shop owner's son is 26 years old and 11 times overall World Champion. He won it first at 14 years old. Why daddy owns a gun shop, you only shoot the best! He and the other top shooters only use 66 or 73 Uberti or a Marlin made before Remington bought them out. Current Marlins and all Henrys are substandard. Henrys look nice on the outside, but not on the inside. Winchesters and Brownings are both made by Maroku in Japan. Both are nice guns but not up to the quality of Uberti. Now 92's are cheaper but are slower in competition and just not competitive. Some are made in South America and are stainless and inexpensive at maybe $600-700. They also make one in 454 Casull which also can be chambered in 45LC.

Anyways, that is the straight answer from the pros. Please NEVER listen to gun writers. They are simply PIMPS for the manufacturers,