jonesg

aroostock county, northern maine.

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I'm not too far from the north entrance to Mount Katahdin. I live in Island falls, 30 miles south of Houlton.

Moved here from Boston 3 years ago.

I thought there would be great fishing but the rivers don't seem to hold anything but white perch.

In yrs past I'd fish the androscoggin in north NH, trout fishing was great.

Mostly they talk about lake fishing here, lake trout and landlocks, but I prefer fly fishing rivers and streams.

I thought there would be good brookie fishing but it seems not so.

I'm finding information hard to come by, a nice stream very close to me looks like it should be full of trout but I see no movement at all, no rises, plenty of bugs though.

Anyone have any info as to whats going on?

Ice fishing does nothing for me.

Umm, well, i have been up that way alot  in my life and grew up catching Brookies and small mouths. There is Alot OF NICE TROUT STREAMS UP THAT WAY. When i used to stay at roaring brook, base of Kahatdin, i used to catch them there too. You just need to get a Gazette Map. You will see you are in a great area for alot of fish....

The East branch is a terrific smallie fishery.  It is good for trout and salmon in the spring and fall.  You're close to the West Branch- I'd fish it every if I could, my favorite river in Maine.  Lots of blue lines on the Realty Road, Pinkham Road, Golden Road.  Get a Gazetteer and two spare tires and pass to the North Maine Woods roads and you will find all you need.

On 7/16/2020 at 11:08 AM, titleguy said:

The East branch is a terrific smallie fishery.  It is good for trout and salmon in the spring and fall.  You're close to the West Branch- I'd fish it every if I could, my favorite river in Maine.  Lots of blue lines on the Realty Road, Pinkham Road, Golden Road.  Get a Gazetteer and two spare tires and pass to the North Maine Woods roads and you will find all you need.

east branch west of what?

I believe he means Penobscot river. Thats why you need a Maine Gaxette, map of Maine book. You can can sit right at your table, look it over...

East Branch of the Penobscot and West Branch of the Penonbscot-  a goodly portion of the East Branch is located within the new Katahdin Woods & Waters National Monument.  The West Branch is west of Katahdin; the East Branch is East and the meet in East Millinocket.

I just got back from a week up in Eagle Lake. My brother caught a nice 15" brookie on the lake, but didn't have much luck otherwise.

I think the water warmed up too fast this year due to the heat. All the fish are down in deeper waters.

Growing up we used to fish a lot of small streams and could easily catch our limit of 6" brookies. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, tyme2par4 said:

I just got back from a week up in Eagle Lake. My brother caught a nice 15" brookie on the lake, but didn't have much luck otherwise.

I think the water warmed up too fast this year due to the heat. All the fish are down in deeper waters.

Growing up we used to fish a lot of small streams and could easily catch our limit of 6" brookies. 

yeh its hot and muggy ( for Maine) , I wouldn't go out in this weather anyway.

I've always wanted to fish the rapid river in northern NH, Gertrude Stevens ghost and all that. 

Edited by jonesg

On 7/16/2020 at 11:08 AM, titleguy said:

We almost moved the Millinocket, not too sure about offroading, my volvo has a hard enough time on asphalt these days, the AWD is dead. I'll keep working on my boat.

The farmer next door tells me they're trying to rejuvenate the local salmon fisheries.

Theres been report of lamprey eel moving in.

22 mins ago, jonesg said:

yeh its hot and muggy ( for Maine) , I wouldn't go out in this weather anyway.

I've always wanted to fish the rapid river in northern NH, Gertrude Stevens ghost and all that. 

The Rapid that you want to fish is also in Maine... The Rapid in NH is full of bass.

Honestly there is so much amazing water up there to fish I’m surprised you are having trouble finding trout, especially being so close to Baxter, concentrate on native brookies in small and medium sized streams and get well off the beaten path, just today I caught some beautiful natives near a very touristy town in the whites in nh, but it took years of scouting and exploring, and Maine is like ten times better