icarussound

Tarpon tips please

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Landed one, lost three in the last couple of days. Frankly I think the one I landed was sheer luck. The only other one I have caught was last year on topwater.

I found a part of the Indian river/lagoon that is currently holding half a dozen rolling juvenile Tarpon and have been putting time in on my yak to figure out how to catch them but I’d love some help. These are (or at least the one I landed was) around 40”, some a bit larger some a little smaller. This morning I lost two using a DOA terroreyz, 3” 1/8th ounce. 

The one I caught was with a 30lb leader, I upped it to 40 lb this morning. The leader seemed fine, but I could not get a decent hook set, the DOAs attract but the hooks are maybe not so good even after extensive sharpening. Though it could easily be my sh1te technique.

Both I lost in the second jump, they spat the lure. I’m thinking I might try my own 1/4 oz bucktail since I make them with strong hooks and I can get them super sharp... 

FWIW I watch for one to roll, toss the DOA in front where it seems to be going and reel in very slow along the bottom with little twitches. I put in a glass rattle which does seems to make a difference.

Tips?

Posted (edited) · Report post

2nd the Baitbuster.  Have also caught them on mag minnows, mag darters and redfins.  Zoom flukes and sluggos as well.  I fish almost exclusively at night.

The few things that I have learned in the 2 years living down here are.

1. A moderate rod as opposed to fast action helps.  

2.  Tarpons mouths are like armor.  The hook is really only staying in with unrelenting pressure.  Unless you jam the hook in the corner.

3.  Sharp strong hooks

4.  Sharp strong hooks

5.  Did I say constant pressure.

Good luck,  they are a blast!

Edited by beatonem

My experience with tarpon is to enjoy the fight you get out of them for as long as they are on. Honestly happier when the 50+ lbers throw hooks after a decent fight because i mostly fish at night on a few jetties which landing them only increases their chances of dying. It seems like when i dont care to lose them i land more of them. In your situation I would definitely use a little beefier hook with the soft plastic of your choice. You can also look at the smaller offerings hogy has available. Barbarian style hooks tend to preform well. The smaller fish combined with how you're fishing them may require more "bowing" to the fish when they jump.

10 hours ago, Nick88 said:

My experience with tarpon is to enjoy the fight you get out of them for as long as they are on. Honestly happier when the 50+ lbers throw hooks after a decent fight because i mostly fish at night on a few jetties which landing them only increases their chances of dying. It seems like when i dont care to lose them i land more of them. In your situation I would definitely use a little beefier hook with the soft plastic of your choice. You can also look at the smaller offerings hogy has available. Barbarian style hooks tend to preform well. The smaller fish combined with how you're fishing them may require more "bowing" to the fish when they jump.

Definitely would recommend small hogy's, also can use magdarters and magminnows, xraps, make sure the hooks are strong and sharp, and up gauge your leader

all from the shoreline  20 lb Ohero braid , 30lb floro leader , MirroLure knot 

MirrOLure  :MR 77 suspending twitch bait , sinking twitch bait 

Yo-Zuri  :   Crystal 3 D shrimp  = change out the hooks  

Cheers! I landed another, fun fish to catch. They don’t look that big till they leap out of the water & you can see the whole majestic animal. Same lure, 40 lb fluorocarbon was enough, got towed for a while, used a fish grip to hold him in the water to unhook. Swam away fine.

My wife was nonplussed, wants me to catch fish we can eat so I’ll be hunting reds and trout today!

On 7/16/2020 at 2:23 PM, Hook I said:

all from the shoreline  20 lb Ohero braid , 30lb floro leader , MirroLure knot 

MirrOLure  :MR 77 suspending twitch bait , sinking twitch bait 

Yo-Zuri  :   Crystal 3 D shrimp  = change out the hooks  

Caught one in the mangroves with a mirrorlure yesterday, unexpected. This little plug is good for reds which is what I was looking for. It jumped and I thought it might be a big bluefish. It’s like the mr77 but 2” or so. I have a yo-Zuri shrimp I might try today though I’m leery of trebles for Tarpon. 

4 mins ago, icarussound said:

Caught one in the mangroves with a mirrorlure yesterday, unexpected. This little plug is good for reds which is what I was looking for. It jumped and I thought it might be a big bluefish. It’s like the mr77 but 2” or so. I have a yo-Zuri shrimp I might try today though I’m leery of trebles for Tarpon. 

Great catch . If I can find it a link by CA Richardson Flats Class explains the 3 baits top suspend sinking It’s a good one 
Ive been using MirrOLure over 25 years from Cape Cod and South America. I have so many in the collection. 

on the shrimp I’ve been single hook exchange but you have to weigh the treble 1st ( digital scale ) then replace for the suspending Crystal 3D 

Tarpon are hard to land, which makes them a premier sportfish. The good thing is you are getting bites. Kayaks are great for sneaking up and getting into remote locations. Kayaks are at a disadvantage on hook sets and putting heat on the fish when needed.

Edited by SnookerFla

More weight of your lure the higher probability of losing the fish, depending on hookset and depth of point to curve of the hook. Terror Eyes aren't the best at keeping them on but do get hit well in the backcountry. Mouths are tough so a solid hookset to lodge it well is key with a sharp point and gauge that can hold up to the pressure, but if done right can stick like glue. Personally like the Mustad Tarpon hooks myself because curved shape is harder to throw if you decide to experiment with some tying. For bigger fish at the inlet my landing ratio is probably close to 75% the last few years using 2-3oz custom bucktails, where most will lose 90% of them due to intial hookset. Basically use the Wejebe Hookset, where you are setting it multiple times to lodge it well with a big hook on big fish. If you halfass and don't get a good set they will throw it on first jump 

Edited by dennysnook

Wejebe, gotta try that. I have been doing one sharp jerk to set the hook. I’ll be out tomorrow, or maybe late today if the crowds have dissipated. Making a few small bucktails with very sharp hooks and crushed barbs this morning to try.

Unfortunately i have just a short bit of 40 lb flouro left. 30 lb I have but got cut off a few times. I do have 50 lb mono I think will be too visible. 

Lots of good tips here, thanks!