HL

Saltwater fly fishing in R.I.

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi all,

Thinking of long term renting in the Narragansett area of R.I.

Maybe the Warwick area also.

Anyone familiar with beach (quiet ocean or bay) areas to fish.  Stripers - of course.

Not wedded to Narragansett - just have non-fishing friends there.

Thanks,

Herb

Edited by HL

46 mins ago, HL said:

Hi all,

Thinking of long term renting in the Narragansett area of R.I.

Maybe the Warwick area also.

Anyone familiar with beach (quiet ocean or bay) areas to fish.  Stripers - of course.

Not wedded to Narragansett - just have non-fishing friends there.

Thanks,

Herb

Narrow River in the North end of Town is an estuary that has decent Spring and Fall fishing.  In the Summer it has become so crowded it is only fishable at night.  Any of the Southwesterly facing salt ponds and beaches are productive following the same general rule of thumb, although fish can be taken off the beaches in troughs mid day in the Summer as well.  I have an affinity for Quonochontaug Pond and breachway (access to the breachway is limited though).  Hope that helps.

Of those two locales, Narragansett if you can find a affordable place, fish the rocks right there or beaches nearby.  It almost became my permanent home before I convinced my spouse to move to Oregon.  

Thanks.

Quonochontaug Pond

That water looks great.  My kind of fishing.  Think I fished that water 15 yrs ago.

Herb

SSpey reminded me that the rocky cliffs and tidal pools in the RI DEM Black Point refuge can be a great night spot.  Just make sure you familiarize yourself with the area in daylight.  The surf and rocks have claimed the inexperience and experienced alike.  The rocks to the left of the old Coast Guard House restaurant (now known as Ocean 40) are an easier, well lit, night option too.

I'll be happy to show you the ropes.

Capt Castafly (Ray S.) can help.  He hails from that area and though he charters (boat) he has many years of local knowledge.   I'd PM him for details.

HT

You are in the thick of the fishy areas of RI. Check out the RI regional forum for decent info and locals who are willing to help, but like all things on the net, filter the info with experience.

For fly guys it depends on the winds; strong NE or E, head south. Strong SW, hit the east facing rocks of Narragansett. The stormiest weather here can come from the SE, so be careful. When the albies are in, wind be dammed and fish where ever you can.

As HT suggested, Capt. Castafly is the quickest way to learn the area from the boat. Oh and always wear some form of cleats on your boots when around the rocks of Narragansett and respect the ocean swell.

Enjoy,

John

I’ll risk being a downer at the expense of being a realist. The fishery in that area is a shell of what it was 15 years ago. Of course that could be said of many places. Yes, you can still find stripers on the fly from the shore, but not In the numbers or size you once could.

Sad but true.

Steve 

Want to get out of Florida for summer - 4-5 months. 

Don't know where else to look.

Islands/Cape too expensive.

Herb