chewy2000913

Fishfinder GPS coverage offshore

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Tried looking this up on google and couldn't find any info about this so hoping someone here has feedback on this. How far offshore does a fishfinder's gps work until it stops working? Does it work all over the world? Just wondering if i need to get a separate GPS unit for my boat if the fishfinder's GPS will not work at a certain point.

I have the Navionics app on my iPhone - took it on a cruise a few years back...it never lost position and we were hundreds of miles off shore. Was kinda neat watching how deep the ocean is north and east of the Bahamas :eek: Deepest I saw was around 19,000 feet...and I wondered what kinda critters might be down there, even though none of my reels holds 10 thousand yards of braid :)

TimS

The combo GPS/fishfinders all work from the GPS satellite constellation, and will show your position everywhere on the ocean.

On the other hand, buying a stand-alone isn't a bad idea.  People will tell you that today's electronics are all dependable and fool-proof, and that backups aren't needed, but that's wishful thinking.  Things still break.  I run a Simrad fishfinder/sidescan/GPS combo as my main unit, but I still have a stand-alone fishfinder and a stand-alone GPS, because when you run offshore, sometimes things happen.  

And last year, something did, and the backup GPS showed me the way home.  (You also should be able to do it with a compass, tach and dead reckoning, because, again, sometimes gadgets break, and the old ways always work, but that's another story.)

On 7/15/2020 at 0:00 PM, chewy2000913 said:

Tried looking this up on google and couldn't find any info about this so hoping someone here has feedback on this. How far offshore does a fishfinder's gps work until it stops working? Does it work all over the world? Just wondering if i need to get a separate GPS unit for my boat if the fishfinder's GPS will not work at a certain point.

learn how to use a compass

22 hours ago, ferret said:

learn how to use a compass

I know how to use a compass.... :howdy:

its mainly for getting to a specific fishing spot. 

thank you all for the feedback, appreciate it