jjdbike

Food safety question: pork w/ sugar spice rub?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I picked up a small 4.39lb lb Boston Butt on Monday. Tuesday around noon I covered it with "Honey Hog BBQ" dry rub by "Meat Church BBQ" and sealed it a large ziplock bag. It' 1st ingredient is sugar, the salt, paprika, garlic, celery etc... I was planing on smoking it low and slow at 225 today. Now, something has come up and I can not cook it till Friday. Do I need to worry about food safety, i.e. pork purchased on Monday, sitting in fridge w/ sugar spice rub from Tues and cooking Friday?

I may be over cautious, but do not want to risk food-born illness.

Is there anything to worry about? 

JD

I wouldn't sweat it at all.  Plenty of BBQ joints rub down meat and then leave them in the fridge, uncovered, to dry the surface for a day or more.  The drying of the surface helps build bark.  I personally almost always cover raw meat when its in my fridge but I think you're fine from a food safety perspective.

54 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

No worries at all Jim, just keep it cold.

49 mins ago, OGCaster said:

wouldnt worry - biggest change may be the salt curing it a bit, giving it a hammy-texture/taste.

Thanks!

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 mins ago, Mono said:

I’d be more concerned by the use by date.

Pork is usually pretty far out, and use by dates other than for seafood or maybe poultry are always overstated, generally have 2-3 even 5 days past that depending on the product.

Edited by Steve in Mass

And the results?

On 7/15/2020 at 11:54 AM, jjdbike said:

I picked up a small 4.39lb lb Boston Butt on Monday. Tuesday around noon I covered it with "Honey Hog BBQ" dry rub by "Meat Church BBQ" and sealed it a large ziplock bag. It' 1st ingredient is sugar, the salt, paprika, garlic, celery etc... I was planing on smoking it low and slow at 225 today. Now, something has come up and I can not cook it till Friday. Do I need to worry about food safety, i.e. pork purchased on Monday, sitting in fridge w/ sugar spice rub from Tues and cooking Friday?

I may be over cautious, but do not want to risk food-born illness.

Is there anything to worry about? 

JD

And the outcome?

Would you use the rub again or just make yer own, 50% brown sugar, some paprika, garlic, on-yon, S & P, in a freezer bag and it seems to work well.

2 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

And the results?

And the outcome?

Would you use the rub again or just make yer own, 50% brown sugar, some paprika, garlic, on-yon, S & P, in a freezer bag and it seems to work well.

Yes it was delicious and will do it again. Though, you make a really good point. Make my own, cheaper, more customized to our taste & now need for anti-caking additives. 

Thanks!

JD