John O'

They're slaying shorts but nothing can be done!

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

1 min ago, John O' said:

Ospreys near me are killing them, I see at least one a day heading to a nest holding a schoolie!

I think osprey fish for sustenance.

I was fishing a freshwater pond the other day when an Osprey flew over with a pogie in its clutches.

It proceeded to fly circles around me like 5 times before heading off to its nest at the other end of the pond.

I accused it of taunting me as if to say "look what I got!  You suck at fishing!"

6 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

I was fishing a freshwater pond the other day when an Osprey flew over with a pogie in its clutches.

It proceeded to fly circles around me like 5 times before heading off to its nest at the other end of the pond.

I accused it of taunting me as if to say "look what I got!  You suck at fishing!"

:laugh:

My experience is they only get a fish 25% of the time. The thing that surprises me sometimes they get fluke.

29 mins ago, Tomm24 said:

My experience is they only get a fish 25% of the time. The thing that surprises me sometimes they get fluke.

Shallow waters I suppose, I've never seen them dive deep like gannets - but I may be wrong. 

3 hours ago, John O' said:

Ospreys near me are killing them, I see at least one a day heading to a nest holding a schoolie!

I saw that at a place I was fishing last week too. They took about 5 small bass in the time I was there. 

3 hours ago, Tomm24 said:

surprises me sometimes they get fluke.

I have caught a handful of fluke in the top column on a Kastmaster and Hopkins while stripper fishing during the day. All fish were caught at the last few turns of the reel just before setting up for a new cast. They are ferocious sometimes, tail slaps and everything. Pretty cool.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Funny Osprey story, or you be the judge. 20 years ago my friend is getting married. We are at the church rehearsal in Bayville, NY. Rehearsal is finished and we all go into the church parking lot talking and hanging out for a bit. All of a sudden we hear this crash! Something had crashed into about to or three cars in the lot. We go over to see what was up, and we see fish guts and slim on three cars. We finally found a bunker that was pretty well mangled on the ground next to one of the cars. I looked up and there it was, an Osprey flying in a circle, it must have lost it's grip on it's way to its nest. Funny as hell. 

Edited by Nite_Bite_00

4 hours ago, Tomm24 said:

Fluke will definitely feed on the surface. I've caught more than a few on plugs in my time. They're a real pain in the ass to unhook, too.

Last weekend my nephew cast out his last live mack but it was not so lively and floated a bit. An osprey swooped it up and he was like WHAAAAAAAAATT. The bird took the long way and did like a 1000' circle around almost back to where she picked up the bait to her nest. Reason #9999 for having a center console over a walkaround. :) He has a walkaround so I had to point that out to him. 

11 hours ago, Tomm24 said:

7 hours ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

Funny Osprey story, or you be the judge. 20 years ago my friend is getting married. We are at the church rehearsal in Bayville, NY. Rehearsal is finished and we all go into the church parking lot talking and hanging out for a bit. All of a sudden we hear this crash! Something had crashed into about to or three cars in the lot. We go over to see what was up, and we see fish guts and slim on three cars. We finally found a bunker that was pretty well mangled on the ground next to one of the cars. I looked up and there it was, an Osprey flying in a circle, it must have lost it's grip on it's way to its nest. Funny as hell. 

We have a long bridge over a freshwater lake and it has light poles on both sides.  Always several ospreys perched on the lights.  One day I was a passenger with someone else and got a good look at the shoulders.  There was a mess of pretty complete looking fish carcasses under every light on the bridge, so I'm guessing they don't take full advantage of all the fish they catch.