Surf Hunter

Do you believe in psychedelics?

Rate this topic

343 posts in this topic

MDMA in the news:

(NEWSER) – Ecstasy appears on track to become an FDA-approved prescription treatment if the results of the first Phase 3 trial on psychedelic-assisted therapy are any indication. As the New York Times reports, 67% of PTSD patients who were given a dose of the drug during therapy no longer qualified for a PTSD diagnosis two months after treatment. That was compared to 32% of PTSD patients given a placebo. There was evidence that ecstasy, also known as MDMA, helped therapy patients in the late 1970s, before it became a recreational drug and was criminalized in 1985. It enhances the release of serotonin and dopamine, both of which regulate mood. A 2019 study on mice found that MDMA may also return the brain to a "state of malleability," per the Times. But "it's the therapy enhanced by the drug" that's doing the work here, says senior author Rick Doblin of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies.

Edited by TimS
links

8 mins ago, Surf Hunter said:

MDMA in the news:

(NEWSER) – Ecstasy appears on track to become an FDA-approved prescription treatment if the results of the first Phase 3 trial on psychedelic-assisted therapy are any indication. As the New York Times reports, 67% of PTSD patients who were given a dose of the drug during therapy no longer qualified for a PTSD diagnosis two months after treatment. That was compared to 32% of PTSD patients given a placebo. There was evidence that ecstasy, also known as MDMA, helped therapy patients in the late 1970s, before it became a recreational drug and was criminalized in 1985. It enhances the release of serotonin and dopamine, both of which regulate mood. A 2019 study on mice found that MDMA may also return the brain to a "state of malleability," per the Times. But "it's the therapy enhanced by the drug" that's doing the work here, says senior author Rick Doblin of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies.

Interesting. Is this one of those things where taking a tiny amount (micro dosing?) might help PTSD folks rather than taking enough to get high? I bet @Brother Brian would know :idea: 

Only a matter of time before they lace mushrooms with Fentanyl. Lmao sick people

used to be able to get a chip off the old block of coke. But now people can’t get Coke without risking death from fentanyl.   I’m understand the product enhancement t for heroin using Fentanyl, but why would they cut cocaine with it?  Who wants to feel like that on blow? 

Edited by ErikT

36 mins ago, Surf Hunter said:

MDMA in the news:

Could be used in marriage counseling too. Lmao

1 min ago, ErikT said:

Only a matter of time before they lace mushrooms with Fentanyl. Lmao sick people

used to be able to get a chip off the old block of coke. But now people can’t get Coke without risking death from fentanyl.   I’m understand the product enhancement t for heroin using Fentanyl, but why would they cut cocaine with it?  Who wants to feel like that on blow? 

cheep chinese communist party stuff and they want to frack up the most americans they can, and the richer the better. consider this a version of a cold war.

27 mins ago, TimS said:

Interesting. Is this one of those things where taking a tiny amount (micro dosing?) might help PTSD folks rather than taking enough to get high? I bet @Brother Brian would know :idea: 

tech company CEO got fired by his board for admitting that he micro-dosed and might have attended a corporate meeting while using. californians might not be quite as tolerant as most think

1 hour ago, TimS said:

It's possible. But this class of drugs in my experience would be best used at a beginners dose level for therapy. By that I mean you can 'feel' something but the extended effects (severe visual, auditory etc distortion) is not experienced. Again in my experience what these drugs (lsd, psilocin, mescaline, MDMA etc)  do is to suppress one part of the dual consciousness that is the human experience, namely the ego. The ego is the original 'sin' or intended FU in our design (It's there to help us do stuff (build rockets, insult Belmo etc.) and to see if you (individually) can overcome it's effects and CONTROL YOURSELF). It coexists with the spirit or natural consciousness and both are present at all times however the ego is the source of our misery and, at the same time our brilliance. It is responsible for the unending brain chatter that occurs in every human being since our time began. It (the ego) is VERY easily damaged and it can, unchecked, screw-up your earthly existence if it isn't reigned in mostly because it is a spoiled, score keeping tyrant that ALWAYS wants to be in charge. Many people can't do it on their own. This is where the above mentioned drugs (meditation also works) can help immensely by allowing the other side of your consciousness to be felt while suppressing the damaged 'stinking thinking' mechanism. That coupled with a therapist can allow you to see this brain chatter for the BS that it really is and thereby gain freedom from it controlling you. Total consciousness is the acknowledgement and acceptance of both sides of yourself and how and what they are doing at every second of your existence as you relate to everything and everyone else as one. 

14 mins ago, Brother Brian said:

It's possible. But this class of drugs in my experience would be best used at a beginners dose level for therapy. By that I mean you can 'feel' something but the extended effects (severe visual, auditory etc distortion) is not experienced. Again in my experience what these drugs (lsd, psilocin, mescaline, MDMA etc)  do is to suppress one part of the dual consciousness that is the human experience, namely the ego. The ego is the original 'sin' or intended FU in our design (It's there to help us do stuff (build rockets, insult Belmo etc.) and to see if you (individually) can overcome it's effects and CONTROL YOURSELF). It coexists with the spirit or natural consciousness and both are present at all times however the ego is the source of our misery and, at the same time our brilliance. It is responsible for the unending brain chatter that occurs in every human being since our time began. It (the ego) is VERY easily damaged and it can, unchecked, screw-up your earthly existence if it isn't reigned in mostly because it is a spoiled, score keeping tyrant that ALWAYS wants to be in charge. Many people can't do it on their own. This is where the above mentioned drugs (meditation also works) can help immensely by allowing the other side of your consciousness to be felt while suppressing the damaged 'stinking thinking' mechanism. That coupled with a therapist can allow you to see this brain chatter for the BS that it really is and thereby gain freedom from it controlling you. Total consciousness is the acknowledgement and acceptance of both sides of yourself and how and what they are doing at every second of your existence as you relate to everything and everyone else as one. 

That was eye opening and outstanding, thank you :th: Another question - how would PTSD potentially affect ego to the point where one would need something like MDNA (and therapy) to begin to feel normal? And do opiates also affect 'ego' in the same manner?  Sorry, I get curious about brain and drug stuff and I know you've got plenty of hours mulling these things over :) 

1 hour ago, TimS said:

That was eye opening and outstanding, thank you :th: Another question - how would PTSD potentially affect ego to the point where one would need something like MDNA (and therapy) to begin to feel normal? And do opiates also affect 'ego' in the same manner?  Sorry, I get curious about brain and drug stuff and I know you've got plenty of hours mulling these things over :) 

There are many things that affect the ego but PTSD and an either genetic or acquired tendency towards fear based responses (anxiety & depression) have the biggest impact. And there are many causes of PTSD (Horrific events, Physical & sexual assault, physical and mental abuse etc) . What appears to happen is that the event creates a 'thinking/reaction pathway' which subsequently influences behavior and even physical responses which the ego uses to 'deal' with it. A common one is the assumption that "I somehow deserved or did something' to warrant this thing. That line of thinking can authorize all kinds of self destructive behavior and unfortunately the ego ALWAYS wants to be in charge and really doesn't care if bad **** happens so long as IT is calling the shots. The way out can be facilitated by these drugs by 'quieting' the egoistic response and it's ability to control the line of thinking so that it can be pointed out that you had no part in causation and you are not guilty nor deserving of punishment. Many people report the sensation of finally being able to see the event without feeling the need to respond to the event. And when you can do that you can understand it better as a thing that happened to you and not a thing that defines you.

Opiates do not have the same effect . In fact, they (like alcohol) tend to empower the ego to act any way it wishes but to FEEL like you have acted in a grand manner. I always described the feeling of really being under the influence of an opiate as "You think and feel like you have never been better, kinder or wiser and everybody around thinks you've never been a bigger ass .. :laugh:

4 mins ago, Brother Brian said:

Opiates do not have the same effect . In fact, they (like alcohol) tend to empower the ego to act any way it wishes but to FEEL like you have acted in a grand manner. I always described the feeling of really being under the influence of an opiate as "You think and feel like you have never been better, kinder or wiser and everybody around thinks you've never been a bigger ass .. :laugh:

Plus add the fact that opiates are very addictive and so far, psychedelics have shown to not be addictive.  

BTW, LSD and not MDMA but look at the sheer amount of pathways opened in the brain while on the drug.

LSD makes the brain more 'complete', scientists say as they claim to have  unlocked secrets of hallucinogenic drugs | The Independent | The Independent

2 mins ago, Surf Hunter said:

Plus add the fact that opiates are very addictive and so far, psychedelics have shown to not be addictive.  

BTW, LSD and not MDMA but look at the sheer amount of pathways opened in the brain while on the drug.

LSD makes the brain more 'complete', scientists say as they claim to have  unlocked secrets of hallucinogenic drugs | The Independent | The Independent

The feeling I got the first time I took LSD was that all the walls came down and everything was free to roam into and mingle with everything else.

2 hours ago, Brother Brian said:

The feeling I got the first time I took LSD was that all the walls came down and everything was free to roam into and mingle with everything else.

Did you happen to notice an increase in conceptual thinking after the fact?