Rangler

Why some people choose Hobie Compass over Outback?

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am in the market for Hobie kayak and I see some people choose Hobie Compass over the outback. At first, I thought it was the price difference but after installing basic add ons (rectangular hatch, map pockets, turbo fins, and Hbar), The price difference is only $300.. $2700 vs $3000. I am sure when you are willing to spend $2.7k, $300 isn't that much a difference. Outback has slightly better stability, better resale value, and 'bells and whistles'... Is there a reason people go for Compass? 

5f0f0ddd357f0_ScreenShot2020-07-15at10_08_08AM.png.ea0069b9d5fdc02b23041b46f7c70926.png

Edited by Rangler

I choose to buy a Compass over the Outback for several reasons.

1. It's lighter and easier to load and unload in my truck.

2. It's certainly has less features and places for storage in the cockpit, but I fly fish and less is better so as not to get my line snagged on stuff while fishing.

3. Saved a little money.

BTW, I purchased the camo version with the 180 drive.

I love it! 

Works great for my fishing.

Good luck.

Edited by afishinado

I know it’s hard to believe, but some people don’t want or need all those extra add ons. So for those people the Compasses lower cost is appealing. Aside from weight, there seems to be no point in buying a Compass just to upgrade everything.  

6 hours ago, atv223 said:

I know it’s hard to believe, but some people don’t want or need all those extra add ons. So for those people the Compasses lower cost is appealing. Aside from weight, there seems to be no point in buying a Compass just to upgrade everything.  

100% Agreed. @afishinado doesn't need extra because of his fishing style. Other than the weight, I don't see the point of buying a new compass. Used compass prices are very reasonable, which means, you won't get that much money back if you buy new compass :p I guess I will wait for 2021 outback or buy a used compass or revo

Edited by Rangler

I have not heard of any hull failures on the compass. Seems to be a few on the other models?

Maybe because the compass has not been around that long ?  Or maybe the people who purchase a compass don't fish as much ? I guess time will tell.  I think the old drive is more durable then then new drives. I believe the compass comes with the old drive.  The weight difference is important to the older fisherman. Not as important to the young guys. Good luck with your decision.  

If one is car topping, the fitted hull weights of 68ish lbs. vs 85 lbs. probably influences some decisions. Experienced yak fisherman/ past Hobie owners would probably pay up for the OB, and deal with the weight. If my old Hobie bites the dust, I’ll find a clean 2014-17 Revo, can’t see spending close to $3000 for a new one.

5 hours ago, dbjpb said:

I have not heard of any hull failures on the compass. Seems to be a few on the other models?

Maybe because the compass has not been around that long ?  Or maybe the people who purchase a compass don't fish as much ? I guess time will tell.  I think the old drive is more durable then then new drives. I believe the compass comes with the old drive.  The weight difference is important to the older fisherman. Not as important to the young guys. Good luck with your decision.  

The Compass used to have the older GT drive but now has an updated drive that is specific to it. It has the kick-up fins but no reverse and looks like a 180 drive without the pull cables. I’m not sure if this new version might be prone to some of the same bearing issues as the MD180 or not. 

8 mins ago, cheech said:

If one is car topping, the fitted hull weights of 68ish lbs. vs 85 lbs. probably influences some decisions. Experienced yak fisherman/ past Hobie owners would probably pay up for the OB, and deal with the weight. If my old Hobie bites the dust, I’ll find a clean 2014-17 Revo, can’t see spending close to $3000 for a new one.

Agreed, the prices are getting up there. I think I paid in the $2200 ballpark for a demo ‘18 Revo. Hard to see paying a lot more than that personally. But factor in warranty and potential for drive/hull failure and there is a trade-off there. 

The Compass used to be reasonably priced with the GT drive. It was also considered by some to be a better hull for offshore/btb type work than the Outback. 

I was considering a Compass when purchasing back in the spring. Honestly, I'm turned off by Hobie at this point all together. 

If you’re considering the Compass to save money and don’t want a bunch of added features, I honestly think the Passport 12 is the better option. Feature wise, it’s very close to how my 2013 Outback came from the factory, in some ways better. I still fish out of my 2013 and can’t see upgrading yet. 

Heavy is subjective, a 40 lb. yak is heavy for my wife. At around 69 lbs, a Revo with rudder is fairly swelte for a pedal SOT 13’5” long.

I don't see the math, but agree the Compass used to have a $1800 MSRP before, the Math

Outback MSRP $2999, shipping $227 ...........................$3226

Compass MSRP $2099, shipping $227, extras  $373.....$2700

I see a $526 difference which sounds better,  perhaps not enough but better. I am also one of them old guys that would probably go Compass instead of outback. I car top onto a lifted (2") Suburban  and I can  still walk up to my Native Slayer Propel 13 , and dead lift it from the ground up over my extended arms and slide it on the truck. Old guys also besides being forgetful, slow, and grumpy, also have some wisdom learned the hard way, figure out a smarter way and  keep going ,never stop moving. My Slayer at 89 lbs.  is gone, just pasted my 75lb. Ocean Kayak Ultra onto a young guy, and now have three kayaks with the heaviest being a Liquid Logic Propel 12 at 68 lbs. I can carry it easily, it moves out when hitting the pedals easily. Outback seems huge to me now, Compass seems right if I was buying a Hobie. I have not heard issues with Compass hull, but have seen pictures of outbacks with cracks from high seat position, and a lot of people talk about the warranty all the time, great products don't usually have people talking about warrnty. Hobies are great kayaks, fast too, but Hobie had to stop the crack issues with the redesigned Outback at all costs.....Jack

Long book to say did you figure freight on the Outback price?

13 mins ago, Bulldog said:

I don't see the math, but agree the Compass used to have a $1800 MSRP before, the Math

Outback MSRP $2999, shipping $227 ...........................$3226

Compass MSRP $2099, shipping $227, extras  $373.....$2700

I see a $526 difference which sounds better,  perhaps not enough but better. I am also one of them old guys that would probably go Compass instead of outback. I car top onto a lifted (2") Suburban  and I can  still walk up to my Native Slayer Propel 13 , and dead lift it from the ground up over my extended arms and slide it on the truck. Old guys also besides being forgetful, slow, and grumpy, also have some wisdom learned the hard way, figure out a smarter way and  keep going ,never stop moving. My Slayer at 89 lbs.  is gone, just pasted my 75lb. Ocean Kayak Ultra onto a young guy, and now have three kayaks with the heaviest being a Liquid Logic Propel 12 at 68 lbs. I can carry it easily, it moves out when hitting the pedals easily. Outback seems huge to me now, Compass seems right if I was buying a Hobie. I have not heard issues with Compass hull, but have seen pictures of outbacks with cracks from high seat position, and a lot of people talk about the warranty all the time, great products don't usually have people talking about warrnty. Hobies are great kayaks, fast too, but Hobie had to stop the crack issues with the redesigned Outback at all costs.....Jack

Long book to say did you figure freight on the Outback price?

Thank you. For me, Compass would do just fine if the MSRP was $1800 and some addons, but MSRP being $2k, it doesn't justify the $ difference. if I decide to buy new, I will be ordering/picking it up at Delaware paddlesports which will save me tax and freight. Not a bad deal after all.

I heard that 2019 Outback has a leaky front hatch issue. 2020 Hobies have Kick-up fin problem and they are on a 'recall'. I am thinking to seat on it and wait for 2021 version or a good used deal.

Edited by Rangler

I think front hatch was fixed by a kit, and perhaps the newer Outbacks have reinforcement at the seat rest, getting a leftover always saves the most money, and still has coverage. I've picked up a few Kayaks at those boys in De.......Jack