Sevendust111

LBI beach fishing access

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey guys...I made a similar post about Pt.
Pleasant a few weeks ago and it turn out to be super helpful. My father in-law loved watching my son fish. This time I will be going to Ship Bottom with my in-laws for a few days. 

I am wondering where or if fishing is allowed off the beach during the day when the guards are on duty. Not looking for specific spots (but pm’s are welcome ;)), I just want to know what the rules are. 

Edited by Sevendust111

Ship Bottom is usually pretty good with allowing you to fish. I usually check in with the life guards and tell what my plan is. This year I had trouble with Surf City. They only want you to fish on certain beaches. Unfortunately it was 20 blocks away. I'm usually with my kids so fishing becomes secondary but I have been picking up bluefish and fluke with a lighter  (7ft, 3000) setup. Lots of fun!

11 hours ago, Waycool said:

Ship Bottom is usually pretty good with allowing you to fish. I usually check in with the life guards and tell what my plan is. This year I had trouble with Surf City. They only want you to fish on certain beaches. Unfortunately it was 20 blocks away. I'm usually with my kids so fishing becomes secondary but I have been picking up bluefish and fluke with a lighter  (7ft, 3000) setup. Lots of fun!

Fluke and blues would be perfect. All I’m catching in south jersey at the moment are sharks, then small stuff like kings and spots. So is it at the life guards discretion? Do they use flags? Or is it generally allowed but your checking with the guards to be cool.

Edited by Sevendust111

Just fish early. Get there at sun up. Fish til 10 or so. That's when the lifeguard's get there.  That's what we do.  Fish for bass at first light.  Drag bucktails/gulp for bass or fluke.  Keep your eyes peeled for blues or Spanish Macs, have a rod readywith metal.  

Then switch over to kingfish rigs and get a few of those tasty morsels.  Off the beach by 10. Clean gear, clean fish.  Eat lunch. Take a nap.  Rinse rather repeat. Lifeguard's leave at 4 or 5 pm.  

1 hour ago, surfcityNJ said:

Ship Bottom is allowed outside the swimming areas. They're marked off with flags. 

Thank you. This is exactly what I am looking for. Mostly blues and fluke? Any kings?

Kings are there.  Kingfish rigs. 1" piece of fishbites. I use a 1oz bank sink. Slow crawling retrieve. Once you find where they are. Keep your bait in that zone.  I still tend to keep moving trying to avoid sandsharks, searobins, skates. 

4 hours ago, LBI SurfRat said:

Just fish early. Get there at sun up. Fish til 10 or so. That's when the lifeguard's get there.  That's what we do.  Fish for bass at first light.  Drag bucktails/gulp for bass or fluke.  Keep your eyes peeled for blues or Spanish Macs, have a rod readywith metal.  

Then switch over to kingfish rigs and get a few of those tasty morsels.  Off the beach by 10. Clean gear, clean fish.  Eat lunch. Take a nap.  Rinse rather repeat. Lifeguard's leave at 4 or 5 pm.  

Thanks man. It’s more of a family trip so I will def be fishing during the day mostly. Might get a morning and/or evening outing or two in though.

4 hours ago, LBI SurfRat said:

Life is good

51 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

Thanks man. It’s more of a family trip so I will def be fishing during the day mostly. Might get a morning and/or evening outing or two in though.

Cool. If fishing at night save the kingfish heads for shark. They Are there as well. 

42 mins ago, Wuwu888 said:

Life is good

Hour drive each way so when we go we try and make the most of it. Have fun. Load the cooler with fresh fish/seafood.  

1 hour ago, LBI SurfRat said:

Cool. If fishing at night save the kingfish heads for shark. They Are there as well. 

I didn’t realize it was so productive there. I haven’t been down there in years. My kid is stoked. Any bait shops in or close to Ship Bottom you suggest?

Edited by Sevendust111

Just now, Sevendust111 said:

I didn’t realize it was so productive there. I haven’t been down there in years. My kid is stoked. Any baits shops in or close to ship bottom you suggest?

Always something biting. Some better than others.  Right not I'd drag small bucktails with gulp for fluke. Kingfish and piece of fishbites for kingfish. 

Fishermen's headquarters in ship bottom and or Surf City bait& tackle in surf city can get ya started. Pretty sure they'd steer you in the right direction.  Both have websites/Facebook.