foxfai

Gloucester beach closing beach parking lots to non-residents

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

https://www.wcvb.com/article/north-shore-city-closing-beach-parking-lots-to-non-residents/33320049

GLOUCESTER, Mass. —

Gloucester is closing beach parking lots to non-residents this weekend.

More and more people are making day trips right now, and Gloucester city leaders say that is creating a dangerous situation.

They are closing beach parking lots to non-residents this weekend. The move follows numerous complaints about excessive traffic there last weekend.

It is also making it harder for people to social distance on beaches.

A minimum of 12 feet is required between blankets and towels. Additional staff will be on hand to enforce the restrictions.

If residents don't have a beach sticker -- they can still park with a license and registration.

The mayor said the city will make an announcement next week about how long the parking ban will last.

Gloucester's public beaches are currently open to a limited number of non-residents, and visitors to the area will still be permitted to park at public beach parking lots in Gloucester on weekdays, for the time being.

The last sentence suggests that weekdays are still ok for non-residents ? What about weeknights ? 

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

The last sentence suggests that weekdays are still ok for non-residents ? What about weeknights ? 

i think weeknights are OK for non residents. I think they are trying to control the day time traffic going through. 

I dealt with that earlier this year in Rockport. Parked the truck downtown and road the bikes right in. Wear a mask and follow the rules and don't talk to another soul or else your Boston accent will get you busted. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

IT WAS A LOOOOOOOOOOONY BIN THIS WEEKEND! Get ready to be towed and ticked ! Starting at 7 am all roads in town where grid locked and people just parked all over the place. 31,000$ worth of tickets given out last weekend and they are looking to brake the record. Just saying. 

Edited by BrianOC

Pretty ridiculous that they do this now, given that throughout late May and all of June beaches were packed.  Now as the state begins to further open up, they decide to close up? Seems nonsensical to me that they do this now and not far earlier.  I drove by Good Harbor frequently in June and it was packed every time. 

2 hours ago, joe0306 said:

Pretty ridiculous that they do this now, given that throughout late May and all of June beaches were packed.  Now as the state begins to further open up, they decide to close up? Seems nonsensical to me that they do this now and not far earlier.  I drove by Good Harbor frequently in June and it was packed every time. 

It only took 8 weeks to convince them to shut it down. It didn't started because of this weekend.

12 hours ago, foxfai said:

https://www.wcvb.com/article/north-shore-city-closing-beach-parking-lots-to-non-residents/33320049

GLOUCESTER, Mass. —

Gloucester is closing beach parking lots to non-residents this weekend.

More and more people are making day trips right now, and Gloucester city leaders say that is creating a dangerous situation.

They are closing beach parking lots to non-residents this weekend. The move follows numerous complaints about excessive traffic there last weekend.

It is also making it harder for people to social distance on beaches.

A minimum of 12 feet is required between blankets and towels. Additional staff will be on hand to enforce the restrictions.

If residents don't have a beach sticker -- they can still park with a license and registration.

The mayor said the city will make an announcement next week about how long the parking ban will last.

Gloucester's public beaches are currently open to a limited number of non-residents, and visitors to the area will still be permitted to park at public beach parking lots in Gloucester on weekdays, for the time being.

two weeks ago, it looked like margaritaville even in the coves and pockets. It was super crowded. 

2 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

It was a tow fest today from what my buddy said 

Wow, can't imagine come back and can't find your car when you aren't near a city.

THey had a cop on an ATV driving back and forth from the Parking Lot at Wingaesheek to the HIghway stopping people from parking.  Signs and cones everywhere.  Last weekend was wild with cars everywhere.

13 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

It was a tow fest today from what my buddy said 

How does towing a car help to prevent the spread of Covid? The person will need to get a ride from a friend or Uber then interact with the tow yard people. They’ve now been in closer contact with people than if they went the beach and spent the day OUTSIDE. These new rules are absolutely ridiculous. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, gray gables said:

That would suck for sure. 

Was surfcasting one night at ****** years ago with a buddy ... we got back to where we had parked only to find we had gotten the hook.  Not a pleasant experience!  Fortunately have an uncle who lives in town and he gave us a lift to Tally's to retrieve the car.  

Edited by TimS
overly specific location removed :-)