kid_just_wants_to_fish

Baitcaster under 60$

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have owned two baitcasters for bass. My old one was pretty bad so i decided to get a 40$ piscifun torrent reel. I liked the torrent a lot for the price and the casting was smooth. I have to return it however because it is squeaky. I need to buy a new baitcaster again. I want to buy another torrent but I do not want to risk the squekyness problem again. I understand that this was maybe just a faulty product.Does anyone know of an alternative?

Thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have 2 okuma stratus reels I've never had issues with.  Think they are a Dicks exclusive but I could be wrong.  They were on sale when I got them for $30 a piece.

Short of that wait for a good sale some place.

Picked up a Black Max for $25 there like 2 weeks after 

Edited by DerrickT

2 mins ago, DerrickT said:

I have 2 okuma stratus reels I've never had issues with.  Think they are a Dicks exclusive but I could be wrong.  They were on sale when I got them for $30 a piece.

Short of that wait for a good sale some place.

Picked up a Black Max for $25 there like 2 weeks after 

Ok. Thanks!

I have a torrent that I have been using for about 2 years now (freshwater mostly). It's not the greatest reel (it's actually my first casting rod) but I haven't had any issues with squeaks or otherwise. 

On 7/14/2020 at 10:52 PM, kid_just_wants_to_fish said:

Hello,

I have owned two baitcasters for bass. My old one was pretty bad so i decided to get a 40$ piscifun torrent reel. I liked the torrent a lot for the price and the casting was smooth. I have to return it however because it is squeaky. I need to buy a new baitcaster again. I want to buy another torrent but I do not want to risk the squekyness problem again. I understand that this was maybe just a faulty product.Does anyone know of an alternative?

Thanks

The squeaky reel gets the oil, taken from an old proverb.  But my point is, that along this journey, there will be squeaks, grinds and other issues. I've learned over the years that if i can fix the squeak, I will surely give it a try.

SOL is a good place to learn about gear and how to fix the squeaks too. 

I hope ya find the reel of your needs my young friend. :howdy:

I have an Abu Garcia Black Max for freshwater LMB and I love it. The whole rod was around $50 at Walmart. I would definitely look into the Silver Max.

I can't really recommend any at this price point. Your best bet is probably to keep an eye out for a lightly used Quantum on buy/sell sites. I found an Accurist for $30 a few years ago.    

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 10:52 PM, kid_just_wants_to_fish said:

Hello,

Thanks

yes,there is a solution,,it should have been greased correctly from day one but,it prolly was not.

a sqeaky IAR or knob just needs a drop of oil.

HH

Most reels in that price range tend to have a shorter service life, and somewhat disposable. That's not to say, you can't find a good reel in that price range brand new, but I'd look for a sale, or consider buying something gently used. A lightly used Shimano Citica for example could be had in or near that price range and will last you quite awhile in fresh water. If you are set on buying something new, I have friends who like their Abu Garcia Silver/Black Max reels. Some Lews reels can be had pretty cheap online away from the typical retailers.

Kid,

I'd recommend getting an Abu Black max reel $50± - get it in a combo and it's even less $. I also have a Lew's Tournament MB that cost almost 3x the money - not much difference at all and the Lew's stopped working and had to be taken apart and fixed after a fraction of the use I have on the Abu. 

Peter