gimbap1707

How to get rid of the "grinding" sound in my reel?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So my VR50 has been making a type of grinding noise when reeling in. It's the typical sound you hear when you're fighting a decent fish (on a spinning outfit), but it happens even when reeling in just a  3-5 oz sinker. It'll happen maybe once every 10 cranks, and sometimes just consistently. I've oiled some parts, but I'm not experienced with servicing a VR50. I tried to remove the spool following a youtube video but it would NOT budge when trying to pull it off. Dont want to pull any harder and have it break. Any suggestions that could help get rid of the sound? FYI - it's not a terrible sounding noise, just has been happening more often and is noticeable every time I reel in. I believe the stellas are notorious for the same noise.

Edited by gimbap1707

A cheaper reel I'd open it up and try to find something loose inside, but for a $500 reel I'd personally get a professional to service it.

1 hour ago, Sandflee said:

something is loose inside, did you drop it and ding the spool?

I think I do remember dropping it a bit, but like less than a 3 foot drop. Any suggestions if this is the reason?

Drag too loose and it’s slipping? Sand get inside from the surf? Think I agree with CR if it’s an expensive reel take/send it to a reputable outfit for a professional look-see. 

If its possibly grit/sand, run the shower, stick the reel in the spray and reel it sideways, upside down etc.

3-5oz on VR 50 ? Why ? I’d say that’s the root of your problem .. first thing I would do is clean the line roller bearing. And stop tossing so heavy with that little tiny reel .. if it’s not the roller , and ya hosed the reel very well and still grinding sounds like ya broke either main or pinion gear or most likely both 

Open that thing up.... a $50 reel and $500 reel are fundamentally the same, the quality of parts will vary, metal vs. teflon or cheap plastic, # of bearings etc.

Screw that bringing it in to a shop.

Get intimate with your equipment so that you can service it at the end of every season.

37 mins ago, gimbap1707 said:

Lol i use it on boats for fluke and black fishing. Seabass and porgy as well if need be. Sorry didnt specify that this isnt for the surf.

Well then more likely then not ya cooked the main gear . Def not a 3-5 oz real . More like 1/2 to 1.5 oz maybe 2 .. sounds like ya need alil conventional setup ... like a fathom 12 and little jogging stick 

17 mins ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Not super familiar with the VR50 ( or any VS reel )...  would you classify it as a  2000 series,    3000 series  type reel ?

Yea it’s pretty small maybe like 2500 Stradic ,