AlwaysWading

The worst reel on the market.

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

I own a small B&T in Cape May and have tried a lot of reels in the past few years.I 've had more Daiwa sweepfire reels returned then any other reel I sell.It Always the anti-reverse is the problem.I had a customer buy one today and return after two hours of use, again the anti-reverse failed.I'm not even going to sell these turds any more, they're terrible..What's the worst reel you've come across ?

Maybe it’s just me but I HATE HATE HATE that Shimano spinning reels have quick fire. They have that incredibly sloppy anti reverse just to make sure the trigger can like up with your finger. Handle only has like 6 places to stop in the rotation. 

I don’t really use quick fire and if anything it just kinda slops it up big time. That being said everything else about the reels goes above and beyond for the price. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Are we talking the worst reel on the market, or one we refuse to own?

Worst? Any sub $50 Penn/Daiwa/Okuma

One I refuse to own? Tsunami SaltX

Edited by ASrod

When I was a kid my friend saved up for over a month doing a paper route and got a daiwa rod and reel they both broke in a month,,,,,,:o

i have a team daiwa 153hstl bass reel..i did carbontex drag washer and ss washer upgrade when it was new,,,, fished salt and fresh water for i dont know how many years now.has to be 15 or more.. its still going daily...

6 hours ago, AlwaysWading said:

Daiwa sweepfire r

So they aint what they used to be. Alan Tani had only good words for older models.

And I would say shimano stella..

for that much money no washers should pull out of bail arm, or rotor - spool be caught by bail wire in the high end position.

20 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Maybe it’s just me but I HATE HATE HATE that Shimano spinning reels have quick fire. They have that incredibly sloppy anti reverse just to make sure the trigger can like up with your finger. Handle only has like 6 places to stop in the rotation. 

I don’t really use quick fire and if anything it just kinda slops it up big time. That being said everything else about the reels goes above and beyond for the price. 

I have owned a few diff shimanos with that setup,they worked fine for me and actually did well.

the thing is being able to adjust to them.

I also had a zebco reel with the firing pin trigger,it too worked very well.

I upgraded it with ball bearings and eliminated the nylon bushings.

thing with the zebco was it was dead slow to crank however,it had a ton of torque with a fish on.

one just has to adjust to them and the will work well.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

I admire US made Penn, tried to kill it but it won’t just die (SS and Senator) Used a Chinese made Penn Jigmaster and the handle just fell on its first fish, and it’s a tiny fish. Never again.

A Daiwa Sweepfire is a $20 reel.... are we expecting anything other than it being a POS for $20?

My vote goes to the Penn Captiva V1. Never ever have I made a bigger mistake with $60 in my life. A graphite framed, 11 ball bearing, abysmally made reel that crapped out so quick you didn't even want to consider exchanging it for a new one at the store you bought it from! The gold finish wore off after a few uses, if you got more than 1 use out of it. The drag sucked. I didn't know better when I was younger and bought the reel back in 2006 or so.

"Penn" (Owned by K2 at the time, a ski/rollerblade company) made lots of money on this Chinese POS because they sold it at every big box store. Worst reel ever!

Edited by TopwaterPete