The Riddler

Missing Boater Found Buzz Bay

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Not looking good. Anyone recognize the name?  Prayers for him.

B96AC6E1-E917-43B3-9836-55E5C9C28C34.png

13BD8976-1FDB-4D47-8ABD-114B8E73CC00.png

Edited by The Riddler

5 mins ago, bob_G said:

That's not looking good.

I know a little of that area, crossing Westport in a skiff if its blowing South with swell can be lethal out there.  I never knew the name of that point but it seemed pretty good most of the time. Doesn't take much to get ejected out of those little skiffs. 

5 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I know a little of that area, crossing Westport in a skiff if its blowing South with swell can be lethal out there.  I never knew the name of that point but it seemed pretty good most of the time. Doesn't take much to get ejected out of those little skiffs. 

He's lucky he's found in these conditions. But still a bit dangerous going out in these scattered storms.

No life jacket... Unless the dude had a heart attack and fell out, this looks like a preventable tragedy. 

Chop in a skiff sux!

At his age it might not had anything to due with the environmental conditions but more his conditioning.

Heart attacks are a biatch by your lonesome!

1 min ago, Seadogg said:

No life jacket... Unless the dude had a heart attack and fell out, this looks like a preventable tragedy. 

All the years I worked for the town, be it running the patrol boat (25' Parker), or the work skiff growing oysters (19' Carolina Skiff) I wore a PFD.  I wouldn't go in any boat today without one 

17 mins ago, bob_G said:

All the years I worked for the town, be it running the patrol boat (25' Parker), or the work skiff growing oysters (19' Carolina Skiff) I wore a PFD.  I wouldn't go in any boat today without one 

Not a chance. Mine goes on before I even step aboard. I think back on my younger days when I didn’t wear one, especially while working alone on the boat all day long. Idiotic. At 34, I’m a great swimmer with more than half a lifetime of commercial operation experience, but that doesn’t mean squat if I fall overboard without a PFD beyond a few hundred yards from shore. I’m not sure I’d make it even that far in any sort of sea state, never mind current. Too many people use “experience” as a lame excuse to not wear one, yet every year, loads of people needlessly perish after falling overboard, even while other people are aboard the boat. Let that sink in. 

Edited by Seadogg

45+ years working on the water I never wore a PFD.....Well except when I was doing my STCW training.......Old habits die hard..........

38 mins ago, Seadogg said:

Not a chance. Mine goes on before I even step aboard. I think back on my younger days when I didn’t wear one, especially while working alone on the boat all day long. Idiotic. At 34, I’m a great swimmer with more than half a lifetime of commercial operation experience, but that doesn’t mean squat if I fall overboard without a PFD beyond a few hundred yards from shore. I’m not sure I’d make it even that far in any sort of sea state, never mind current. Too many people use “experience” as a lame excuse to not wear one, yet every year, loads of people needlessly perish after falling overboard, even while other people are aboard the boat. Let that sink in. 

I wish you can tell my friend that. Just just takes it off and said it's too hot. When I rant about him he just brush it off and he can help us if we go over. :banghd:

1 hour ago, Seadogg said:

I think I will start wearing one.  Great points. 

Edited by The Riddler

1 min ago, The Riddler said:

I think I will start wearing one.  Great points. 

Get an automatic inflatable, man. You’ll forget you’re even wearing it.