jps1010

Striped Bass larger than people are saying

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I never thought I'd see the day where people were saying the striped bass they caught is actually smaller than it really is so it falls in the new slot.  I am seeing a lot of that on social media.  I was wondering if others have come across the same thing.

Interesting times we are in.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Douchebags always find ways to break the rules. Just the other day I saw a family of four catch at least 15 legal bass and every 4 fish, they had one of them walk a white bucket back to the car. Cops never showed up which had me even more frustrated.

Edited by ASrod

45 mins ago, ASrod said:

Douchebags always find ways to break the rules. Just the other day I saw a family of four catch at least 15 legal bass and every 4 fish, they had one of them walk a white bucket back to the car. Cops never showed up which had me even more frustrated.

Its SO easy to take photos and post them on the internet on a fishing website. I really dont understand why the shaming isnt more common for OBVIOUS violations.  Cripes, this is the cancel culture era on steroids, the least we can do is post pics of repeat offenders online.  

39 mins ago, 55555s said:

Its SO easy to take photos and post them on the internet on a fishing website. I really dont understand why the shaming isnt more common for OBVIOUS violations.  Cripes, this is the cancel culture era on steroids, the least we can do is post pics of repeat offenders online.  

Fishing in general needs more calling out honestly. Everyone seems afraid to offend and just be buddy buddy with everyone. It’s lame. Remember when that Patrick Duke guy got called out for about 39 minutes for an assortment of complete BS behavior? 

Another one that irks me is fish “release” videos where the fish very slowly swims off, that’s not natural, a well handled and released fish swims off very quickly, just the same as we would run like crazy if we took a bite of a cheeseburger and got pulled through the air for a few minutes before being placed back on the ground. 

48 mins ago, 55555s said:

This idea is only effective if the poachers belong and/or give a chit about fishing websites.  They obviously don't care since they openly poach.

Not sure what this would accomplish...

1 hour ago, Roccus7 said:

This idea is only effective if the poachers belong and/or give a chit about fishing websites.  They obviously don't care since they openly poach.

I know for hunting websites the FG officers most certainly read up on things.  If there's a clearinghouse of 100 pics of the same dozen poachers, I think FGW will and.could use it as a starting point.    After the initial phone call, its certainly sure to be more useful.  

It can also be a deterrent to those who ARE on scial media/here to not stray too far from whats leal and moral wrt the resource.  We like to think that everyone on SOL toes the line but human nature is what it is.  

15 hours ago, ASrod said:

I reported some dudes off a pier earlier this year. Kept a similar amount of fish among 4 guys.

Ranger showed up well after I left, but at least he has a few license plates on hand....

14 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Why not print it out and post it in the parking area?  Grocery stores display the photos of shoplifters by their door. We should do the same. 

If you see someone poaching and have a picture that clearly shows an offense, feel free to share it here :wave: I have no problem helping make poachers famous. The caveat being that crime needs to be obvious and clear, not "that fish looks 35" long" stuff - if you see it on a tape or it's very obviously over - or they have more than a limit in their possession and it's clear in the picture - post them. Make them famous. There are a number of state's law enforcement folks that check in from time to time.

**If the picture doesn't clearly show the violation, please don't be upset when it's removed :)

TimS

37 mins ago, TimS said:

If you see someone poaching and have a picture that clearly shows an offense, feel free to share it here :wave: I have no problem helping make poachers famous. The caveat being that crime needs to be obvious and clear, not "that fish looks 35" long" stuff - if you see it on a tape or it's very obviously over - or they have more than a limit in their possession and it's clear in the picture - post them. Make them famous. There are a number of state's law enforcement folks that check in from time to time.

**If the picture doesn't clearly show the violation, please don't be upset when it's removed :)

TimS

Even with a very good photo it is still extremely difficult for law enforcement to issue a summons. The sad reality is that  the violator must be caught by law enforcement committing the act. This was told to me by a game warden. They are just as frustrated by this as we are but that’s just the way it is. Don’t get me wrong, there are some exceptions to this but it’s very rare. Too many laws protecting bad people in this country.