gellfex

Freezer defroster dripping inside fridge

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I can't figure this one out. It's a plain 18 ft top freezer. Water drips from the top of the fridge pan into a container if you place it on back of the top shelf.  I thought it would be a slam dunk, just clear a clog in the drain line to the evaporator pan. The line from the freezer to the pan in the top of the fridge was clear, as was the line going down inside the back of the fridge. I mean everything was clean as a whistle! I didn't try and snake the hose down inside the back, but it seemed unlikely anything was in there as the pan in the fridge was perfectly clean. Ideas?

Just now, giant basshole said:

Blow it clear with compressed air, could be a web or something in there.

I could try. I was thinking I might squirt water in the tube going inside and see if it's possible to fill it. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Had the EXACT same problem. It was some kind of clear goop from some damn thing or another. Like GB said blow it out or snake it . I couldn't see anything either. I took it apart 3GD times and finally went manual. Problem solved.

Edited by Brother Brian

1 hour ago, Brother Brian said:

Had the EXACT same problem. It was some kind of clear goop from some damn thing or another. Like GB said blow it out or snake it . I couldn't see anything either. I took it apart 3GD times and finally went manual. Problem solved.

Thanks! I guess I will go at that damn hose...

7 hours ago, gellfex said:

Thanks! I guess I will go at that damn hose...

had it once where i needed to defrost it with a hair dryer, I have a bottom drawer freezer thats getting a bit of frost i may need to do the same

Edited by Sandflee

So I girded my loins, gathered up a turkey baster and a coil of weedwacker line, and went in to a 2nd 18' top freezer fridge with a defrost drip problem, having not even gone back yet to the one in the OP. The entire bottom pan of the freezer was a frozen sheet of ice, the "funnel" to catch the defrost water and send it into the tube was a frozen pond. Its the type where it goes behind right from the freezer, unlike my other problem one where it drops from the freezer to the fridge and then into the back. 

I defrosted it, and tried using the baster to fill the tube and see if there was a blockage. Nope, I put in enough I was afraid the evaporation cup would overflow. So then I used the weedwacker line as a snake, and put in 5'. No problem there. Don't know. I could see once it iced it just could never melt again, but why did it ice? I closed it up and told the tenant I was hoping just defrosting was going to do it, and to keep an eye on it. 

Gellfex

i went down the same road as you with weed wacker line snake and water flush of the line but it started leaking water a couple week later into the refrigerator compartment. I think what happens, especially in the hot humid weather of summer is that the drain line freezes and clogs. The refrigerator engineers didn’t foresee this problem and a copper wire leading from the coils down a few inches into the drain tube corrects the problem taking advantage of the heating defrost cycle  by conducting heat into the frozen drain line. One con of engineered mass production Is the peddling of faulty engineered product to unwary consumers who wrongfully trust the engineering skills of these corporatist pawns but the practical engineering skills of end users (consumers ) and clever repair persons in this equation are largely ignored by manufacturers after faults rear their ugly head. Has Samsung improved the durability of their spider flange on their washer drums or has Subaru solved the leaking head gasket problem endemic  to E25 model engines from the late 1990s? Do they even need to as long as advertising and a false sense of trust by consumers help them sell products. Complicated  mass produced machines have to be incredibly horrible in order to lose consumer confidence so manufacturers are forced to improve them else they go out of business but I guess it happens occasionally.

Edited by flyrad10
wack not walk

8 hours ago, flyrad10 said:

Gellfex

i went down the same road as you with weed wacker line snake and water flush of the line but it started leaking water a couple week later into the refrigerator compartment. I think what happens, especially in the hot humid weather of summer is that the drain line freezes and clogs. The refrigerator engineers didn’t foresee this problem and a copper wire leading from the coils down a few inches into the drain tube corrects the problem taking advantage of the heating defrost cycle  by conducting heat into the frozen drain line. One con of engineered mass production Is the peddling of faulty engineered product to unwary consumers who wrongfully trust the engineering skills of these corporatist pawns but the practical engineering skills of end users (consumers ) and clever repair persons in this equation are largely ignored by manufacturers after faults rear their ugly head. Has Samsung improved the durability of their spider flange on their washer drums or has Subaru solved the leaking head gasket problem endemic  to E25 model engines from the late 1990s? Do they even need to as long as advertising and a false sense of trust by consumers help them sell products. Complicated  mass produced machines have to be incredibly horrible in order to lose consumer confidence so manufacturers are forced to improve them else they go out of business but I guess it happens occasionally.

It should work in theory. There should never be enough water dripping in the defrost cycle that it can't drain down the hose. There should never be a puddle to freeze.  But clearly there is. If it comes back I'll try the wire trick, I saw that elsewhere too.  It required more disassembly than I had done this time to get to the actual defrost coil.

I had the same issue with a refrigerator that is my garage.  Did it winter and summer. .  I did the wire trick, which failed.  I finally decided to change the defrost circuit board and the defrost temp sensor.  That was two months ago and so far it looks like it is working.