Dumprdog

Smallmouth fishing, where would you go?

64 posts in this topic

20 mins ago, Dumprdog said:

Given the choice and the opportunity, where would you pick to go for a week of smallmouth fishing? 

In Virginia,,,,,,,new river,,,James river,,,,,:) but there's some really great rivers in Pennsylvania in the middle of nowhere,,,,,,,,,:D

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 mins ago, bennie said:

In Virginia,,,,,,,new river,,,James river,,,,,:) but there's some really great rivers in Pennsylvania in the middle of nowhere,,,,,,,,,:D

Lol Bennie! The Pennsyltucky rivers can be pretty good at times... but it depends on the season and conditions.  Just my opinion, but if I was planning a trip, the great lakes (including lake St Clair) probably have the best smallie fishing in my opinion, but u really need a boat for the most part. 

Edited by TJones

I've been going up to a lodge on Lady Evelyn Lake in Northern Ontario for about 30 years now.  The virus shut this year's trip down.  It's know for it's walleye and smallmouth.  You have a better shot at really big smallie in early September when they start feeding up for the winter.  We were suppose to go up the first week in September this year.  Normally we've been going up late July, early August the last couple of years.  It's not unusual to catch 80 bass during the week.  They're been averaging between 12 and 16 inches.  Not unusual to pick up a few fish in the 18 to 20 inch range.  

What I like about it is all we have to do is show up at the pick up point with our clothes, fishing gear, trolling motors, liquid refreshment, snacks and a book or two to read at night.  We don't have to worry about dragging our boats with us, pitching tents, or cooking meals.  The lodge provides boat, the gas and bait if you want it.  There's a basic depth finder on the boat.  Breakfast and dinner at the main lodge, pack us a lunch or provide the fixing's for a shore lunch.  They clean, freeze and ice any fish you want to take home.  That's my idea of good fishing trip, the only thing I have to worry about is finding and catching the fish.

20120730_22.JPG

20111224_14.JPG

20100821_64.JPG

3 mins ago, TJones said:

Lol Bennie! The Pennsyltucky rivers can be pretty good at times... but it depends on the season and conditions.  Just my opinion, but I was planning a trip, the great lakes (including lake St Clair) probably have the best smallie fishing in my opinion, but u really need a boat for the most part. 

I was in Syracuse one time and the guy at the tackle shop said great lakes no you want to fish one of the finger lakes,,,,:shrug: one day I would like to go back for the salmon run,,,,,,,,:D

2 mins ago, bennie said:

I was in Syracuse one time and the guy at the tackle shop said great lakes no you want to fish one of the finger lakes,,,,:shrug: one day I would like to go back for the salmon run,,,,,,,,:D

Well, yeah... They are darn good too, lol! Especially the fingers with gobies. 

So many fish and too little time!!! 

15 mins ago, TJones said:

Lol Bennie! The Pennsyltucky rivers can be pretty good at times... but it depends on the season and conditions.  Just my opinion, but I was planning a trip, the great lakes (including lake St Clair) probably have the best smallie fishing in my opinion, but u really need a boat for the most part. 

Have fished the Susky  from Hburg to the fiber dam, great at times but depends on weather too much there. Would love to try St. Clair. Have seen so many tv shows on it, looks as if simply dropping a tube over gets you a 3#er. I know it's not that easy but sure looks like it. Wonder if Covid has ruined it for the rest of the year? I've heard Candlewood is excellent also. But where to stay? Anyone know about the Finger Lakes or Erie?

6 mins ago, TJones said:

Hehe,,,,:laugh: you're gonna to have people telling you about places all over the us and Canada,,,,,,it doesn't get any better than that,,,,,,,,:D

11 mins ago, TJones said:

Did not realize the Fingers had gobies. 

3 mins ago, Dumprdog said:

Have fished the Susky  from Hburg to the fiber dam, great at times but depends on weather too much there. Would love to try St. Clair. Have seen so many tv shows on it, looks as if simply dropping a tube over gets you a 3#er. I know it's not that easy but sure looks like it. Wonder if Covid has ruined it for the rest of the year? I've heard Candlewood is excellent also. But where to stay? Anyone know about the Finger Lakes or Erie?

That stretch on the Susky is pretty much my home waters, including the lower the Juniata also...  I have a musky trip planned to St Clair early August, so I believe most guides are still operating there. Pretty sure you aren't supposed to cross the border though.  I've just musky fished there, but they tell me a 5 fish limit of 25lbs doesn't really raise any eyebrows on St Clair.  Im sure it's somewhat seasonal also... But not like the PA rivers. 

6 mins ago, TJones said:

That stretch on the Susky is pretty much my home waters, including the lower the Juniata also...  I have a musky trip planned to St Clair early August, so I believe most guides are still operating there. Pretty sure you aren't supposed to cross the border though.  I've just musky fished there, but they tell me a 5 fish limit of 25lbs doesn't really raise any eyebrows on St Clair.  Im sure it's somewhat seasonal also... But not like the PA rivers. 

Used to keep my boat there in Liverpool. But when my son went and got married I brought it home. A 3 1/2hr drive alone and launching/loading alone isn't high on my list of things I consider fun. Plus the unpredictability of the river makes it hard to choose a good time. I've had some fantastic days there and some days I would have preferred being home. It is my understanding that farther up the river before the branches join that it is more fishable throughout the year, but I don't know that for certain. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 mins ago, Dumprdog said:

Used to keep my boat there in Liverpool. But when my son went and got married I brought it home. A 3 1/2hr drive alone and launching/loading alone isn't high on my list of things I consider fun. Plus the unpredictability of the river makes it hard to choose a good time. I've had some fantastic days there and some days I would have preferred being home. It is my understanding that farther up the river before the branches join that it is more fishable throughout the year, but I don't know that for certain. 

Some nice water in that area around Liverpool! :th:

I haven't fished it much above Sunbury/Northumberland area... there is just so much river, plus all the tribs! From what I've heard it might might be a little more consistent farther up the North Branch as far as bass population and YOY data, but I don't know any of that first hand.  

Edited by TJones