SalmonAndStriper Stalker

Funnyfish 2020

Rate this topic

113 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Still pretty  tough to  tell between a Frigate and a  Bullet.

Besides the notes shown, the Frigate is absent of an anal fin. Why was that  not a clear indication?

I like the  chart. Thanks 

Edited by FishRatz

1 hour ago, Father of 4 said:

Which are good for the table? besides Bonito

The only one I know of that's not favored is the false albacore (listed as little tunny)...and yet, I know of a few people who gives them favorable marks as table fare (I've never tried, so I have no say except I know the prevailing opinion is that they are not food worthy)

Edited by albacized

1 hour ago, FishRatz said:

Besides the notes shown, the Frigate is absent of an anal fin. Why was that  not a clear indication?

I like the  chart. Thanks 

While I'm sure what I caught were bullet mackerel/tuna, I'm still not sure if they're classified as mackerel or small tuna...online searches aren't very helpful, although I'm tentatively swayed towards thinking they're a species of small tuna based on what I could make out from my search. 

Besides bonito, skipjack is good.

photo.jpg.226df5b70c7b4962400be97f5e797046.jpg

Then there's the old reliable Atlantic Mac. Doesn't do much for me.. but some people love their macks.

mackerel-patties-3.jpg.2151801a08e118e039af158f3f3e4ac9.jpg

Albies range from catfood quality to pretty decent. Depending on who you ask..and who processes it..(bleed, remove disgusting and mushy rust-colored bloodline, ice immediately)

albie-dinner-550x367.jpg.af5b7a2d8952fcbc7448b2dae8781e59.jpg

Bullet macks(tuna)? Never heard of anyone eating them (probably because they're not caught much in NE) but was able to dig up a dish from SE ASIA. 

20180415_210852.jpg.02ded76abe4c510dbbaa5bdf911c6030.jpg

Frigates? Apparently "oily.. and an acquired taste."

Looks scrumptious. (¬_¬)

133342134-open-can-of-preserved-natural-fillet-of-frigate-tuna-on-wooden-table.jpg.5452f061093f4e788fd89d1267c1ffb1.jpg5f1f8198a9ae8_Frigate_tunas_Sashimi_10_May_2018.jpg.72a66c0d08fe734711a7ecfca9c4bbbc.jpg

Chubs? Meh.

Screenshot_20200727-214458_Chrome.jpg.80ba82b431189e472eb2c266febcfb54.jpg

5 mins ago, rst3 said:

Besides bonito, skipjack is good.

photo.jpg.226df5b70c7b4962400be97f5e797046.jpg

Then there's the old reliable Atlantic Mac. Doesn't do much for me.. but some people love their macks.

mackerel-patties-3.jpg.2151801a08e118e039af158f3f3e4ac9.jpg

Albies range from catfood quality to pretty decent. Depending on who you ask..and who processes it..(bleed, remove disgusting and mushy rust-colored bloodline, ice immediately)

albie-dinner-550x367.jpg.af5b7a2d8952fcbc7448b2dae8781e59.jpg

Bullet macks(tuna)? Never heard of anyone eating them (probably because they're not caught much in NE) but was able to dig up a dish from SE ASIA. 

20180415_210852.jpg.02ded76abe4c510dbbaa5bdf911c6030.jpg

Frigates? Apparently "oily.. and an acquired taste."

Looks scrumptious. (¬_¬)

133342134-open-can-of-preserved-natural-fillet-of-frigate-tuna-on-wooden-table.jpg.5452f061093f4e788fd89d1267c1ffb1.jpg5f1f8198a9ae8_Frigate_tunas_Sashimi_10_May_2018.jpg.72a66c0d08fe734711a7ecfca9c4bbbc.jpg

Chubs? Meh.

Screenshot_20200727-214458_Chrome.jpg.80ba82b431189e472eb2c266febcfb54.jpg

Most of that looks pretty horrible. 

2 mins ago, z-man said:

Most of that looks pretty horrible. 

Ima take a hard pass on Frigate Macks.

Appears to be "Friskies Grade"

133342134-open-can-of-preserved-natural-fillet-of-frigate-tuna-on-wooden-table.jpg.cc01ea2fbeff6c01301b67d9a7e2ea1c.jpg

TB1GfbQKVXXXXX2aXXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg.8ec23bc11f2e3be97700a37b19bc8de1.jpg

Anal fin is present in both species, but the chart above is based on photos rather than drawings. Photos are never as reliable.

This article explains small morphological differences between them rather well...hope it helps:

https://ncfishes.com/knowledge-base/frigate-mackerel-vs-bullet-mackerel/

I've observed lots of people keeping albies. Often just in a plastic bag or bucket sitting on the rocks until they are ready to leave. If you throw one back that you caught you get a funny look or they will ask you for the fish.

It's similar with other fish such as blues etc. There's a lot of people who are fishing for the table.

That's fine as long as they are following the rules.

I've never tried albies but everyone says they're nasty.

5 hours ago, JimKu said:

I've observed lots of people keeping albies. Often just in a plastic bag or bucket sitting on the rocks until they are ready to leave. If you throw one back that you caught you get a funny look or they will ask you for the fish.

It's similar with other fish such as blues etc. There's a lot of people who are fishing for the table.

That's fine as long as they are following the rules.

I've never tried albies but everyone says they're nasty.

Yeah, that's one thing I don't understand. I wonder wouldn't a lot of these guys enjoy their fish that much more if they took better care of it? It really does make a huge difference if you bleed a fish..then get that thing on ice. I don't care what the species is: bluefin, false albacore, freshwater sunfish-- icing and bleeding lead to the tastiest dinners.

I've seen a huge pile of albies sitting on the rocks in the sun ..baking..for hours. Not sure why anyone would do that.

It's more of what they can or willing to taste and eat. Just like a lot of people won't eat internal organs because of the taste, but some people don't mind (that bloody taste). Even they left the fish out, after cleaning them and cook, they might still taste like strong bloody bluefish which other people won't eat.

19 hours ago, rst3 said:

Yeah, that's one thing I don't understand. I wonder wouldn't a lot of these guys enjoy their fish that much more if they took better care of it? It really does make a huge difference if you bleed a fish..then get that thing on ice. I don't care what the species is: bluefin, false albacore, freshwater sunfish-- icing and bleeding lead to the tastiest dinners.

I've seen a huge pile of albies sitting on the rocks in the sun ..baking..for hours. Not sure why anyone would do that.

Edited by bob_G
Comment hints if racism.