BDigital

Plug ID - Puck FBG

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Would anyone know who made this Plug? A little background.... I found in my grandmother's garage in the Cape. My uncle's who are in their late 40's, both fished and worked at Goose Hummock in their teens. Not sure if they picked it up while working at GH. The plug is 5" long about 2 to 3oz. and is thru wired. The bottom is flat. Has a great side to side action, very easy to work. I included a pic of an older Gibbs pencil to gauge the size. Top of plug says Puck FBG. Any info would be greatly appreciated.  

0713201237.jpg

0713201237a.jpg

0713201237b.jpg

0713201406.jpg

0713201238.jpg

0713201238a.jpg

0713201238b.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yes, Puck is a mate who's been coming down to the Cape twice per year from Canada for decades now.  (His June trip this year was nixed by Covid, of course.)

Ay, @speedwell, 'Allo, mon ami!  :howdy:

That's one of his pencils.  It's a Fat Bottom Girl.

Extremely unlikely that your relative purchased it anywhere, for I've (EDIT: never) heard him speak of selling plugs, but he's given many to his friends (were/are your uncles Ditch Trolls?  That's how Puck and I met.) and he used to attend some of the weekend-long plug builders' events on the Cape, back when they had them, so there was lots of swapping going on there.

If I've misspoken, he'll correct me.

Edited by Southcoastphil

8 mins ago, BDigital said:

Hahaha... I called it my Big Bottom B*!$@. 

Thanks for the info. Do you know if he still makes these? 

Well you were close.

Before your time, but this might have had some impact on the name:

I don't think they were, but for some reason I feel like I heard one mention the canal when talking about the plug a couple years ago when I found it.  

Canal would certainly be appropriate.  I just looked at some of my pencils from Puck and the FBG was built for the September, 2010 TrollFest.  

He shipped some pencils to me over the winter that he'd just turned for the Trolls, but he hadn't turned a FBG for quite some time when we last connected at much length back in March or so. 

I'll post some pics in the next day or so of his non-FBG pencils, both round and canal style.

2 hours ago, BDigital said:

Would anyone know who made this Plug? A little background.... I found in my grandmother's garage in the Cape. My uncle's who are in their late 40's, both fished and worked at Goose Hummock in their teens. Not sure if they picked it up while working at GH. The plug is 5" long about 2 to 3oz. and is thru wired. The bottom is flat. Has a great side to side action, very easy to work. I included a pic of an older Gibbs pencil to gauge the size. Top of plug says Puck FBG. Any info would be greatly appreciated.  

0713201237.jpg

0713201237a.jpg

0713201237b.jpg

0713201406.jpg

0713201238.jpg

0713201238a.jpg

0713201238b.jpg

Use it!

20200713_165929.jpg

1 hour ago, Southcoastphil said:

Well you were close.

Before your time, but this might have had some impact on the name:

Freddy rocked man!!  Belted it out .. Sucks .. Broke Micro stand . his gig!! 

I Have a pencil from Puck as well, it's a beast. I love it! I bought a reel from him a few years ago and he threw the plug in the box too Cuz he's awesome!

10 mins ago, GoodWood69 said:

Freddy rocked man!!  Belted it out .. Sucks .. Broke Micro stand . his gig!! 

I hoped that *somebody* here would like it.  Glad you did.

2010! That makes it even stanger that I found it. Neither of those uncles continued to fish through their 30's. The oldest of my uncles used to work on a few charter boats out of Rock Harbor and Sesuit, but that was a long time ago.  My only other guess is someone found it on the Brewster Flats. My GM is down on the beach next to Point of Rocks. I've been hesitant to use it because of not knowing if I could get another. Now I know I can't get another..... 

I'm not saying that he didn't build any after 2010 (note the "2013" on Mike's FBG), just that mine has that date on it.  These plug building guys, they're a little different from you and me, ya know?  (Thank God for that.)  They make stuff, test it, give it to buddies to test, tweak it, test it again and again, then they make a bunch of 'em to give to their mates, swap with other builders, heck, sometimes they even FISH them!  

You uncles might be the third, fourth, tenth, whatever person(s) to own that plug.

Or, they could be the second, if Puck lost it somehow while fishing ...