fixxer12

Kayak mods

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys.

Just purchased a budget kayak (Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100), and want to make some mods. In particular, I'd like to place a few gear tracks/rails on the side. Is there a certain screw or installation method I should use to ensure no leaks occur down the road?

SS fasteners, fender washers and nuts is fairly bulletproof. Silicone or rubber washers can enhance the water tightness.

You generally have four options. Nuts and bolts, self tapping screws, rivets and well nuts. As mentioned above, nuts and bolts are ideal but you may have difficulty reaching the nuts from the inside. The other three options can be used whether or not you have access from inside. I usually throw a bead of silicone or goop between the bolt head and the hull to seal everything but you should have to worry about leaks to much unless you run through the surf or flip. 

The hatches on your kayak are small & central, i don't think reaching up under the deck is possible.

For accessories like rod holders you need a strong, solid mount, some of us will pull a backing plate up to the under side of the rod holder base with string or wire, put in [2] diagonal screws then snip the string & put in the other [2] diagonal screws,  works well & is super strong in those no access areas.

Some will rivet in those no access areas, that works too,  i personally prefer  either nuts & washers or the rock solid backing plate myself

DON'T use well nuts....:wag:

I am doing a sheet rock screw challenge for cam and light mounts. 3 weeks in no rust. 

0F08FD15-CCC2-400C-9EAC-2B8EFBC9728B.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Diy backing plate. I pulled it in place with string with the yak upside down on saw horses. Dont drill all the way through for the nut (only for the 1/4-20 fastener) and of course, attach it from the other side.

FCE10B33-6859-490B-8B21-EDBC70836B6A.png

Edited by cheech

SS nylock nuts if you go that route so they don't loosen in side the hull. I was always skeptical of self-tapping screws, but have never actually had a problem with them. I like to pre-tap a small a small hole first.