hookmeup

Non gulp alternatives for fluke

Rate this topic

79 posts in this topic

I tried some others (all American stink and jersey fluke bellies) with meh results. 

Plug bait and the zman (6”grubs) look interesting. Anybody have first hand experience?

I’m thinking about getting some and doing some high low rig comparison testing. 

I’ll be fishing structure in NJ so I expect a lot of loss to structure

Zman last much longer than gulp and are even more expensive. Plug bait smells even worse than gulp but is cheaper.

Only been out once with the zman grubs, they look great in the water, but I still seemed to get far more bites with gulp. Someone needs to figure out why gulp is crack to fluke.

I fluked with a Pure Fishing rep once. He was telling me that their scientists spent a lot of time developing cloaking for the product so other companies couldn't reverse engineer it. He said the cloaking took a lot longer than the actual formula.

For once, I'd like to hear what Y has to say. 

7 mins ago, Sparky said:

I fluked with a Pure Fishing rep once. He was telling me that their scientists spent a lot of time developing cloaking for the product so other companies couldn't reverse engineer it. He said the cloaking took a lot longer than the actual formula.

For once, I'd like to hear what Y has to say. 

It's made by Romulans?

I year or so ago I looked up the gulp patent. It was almost entirely  about the the carrier solid and almost nothing about the attractant. So much so that if you used a different solid you probably could match the attractant and not be in violation. So I would say they probably have a bunch of stuff in the juice that isn't active to hide the real secret.

9 mins ago, MakoMike said:

How about  a little fish, like sand eels or silver sides coupled with a strip of squid?

Nothing wrong with baits. 

I prefer to not have to have baits that need refrigeration. More for convenience than anything else. 

Although I will use strips on spoon rigs. 

23 mins ago, hookmeup said:

Nothing wrong with baits. 

I prefer to not have to have baits that need refrigeration. More for convenience than anything else. 

Although I will use strips on spoon rigs. 

If you're not carrying some sort of "refrigeration" like a small cooler with ice, how are you going to keep your fish fresh when you catch it?

35 mins ago, Tomm24 said:

I year or so ago I looked up the gulp patent. It was almost entirely  about the the carrier solid and almost nothing about the attractant. So much so that if you used a different solid you probably could match the attractant and not be in violation. So I would say they probably have a bunch of stuff in the juice that isn't active to hide the real secret.

Which one did you look at. I always considered the family of WO1997039625 to be the basics. E.g., US 5827551. 

Long story short, it's mackerel oil. 

Fish attractant formulations according to the invention are a water-in-oil emulsion of petrolatum mineral jelly or wax, a water soluble delivery agent, a thickening agent, and a water soluble fish attractant. The petrolatum provides an oil-based carrier that adheres well to the external surfaces of artificial lures. The remaining ingredients form a stable emulsion with good shelf stability that releases the active attractant slowly when immersed in water. Unless otherwise stated, all percentages are by weight. Water soluble delivery agents useful in the invention are water soluble, able to dissolve the attractant, immiscible in the petrolatum, nontoxic, and environmentally acceptable.

Particularly preferred delivery agents include propylene glycol and glycerine. Thickening agents useful in the invention are those materials that will thicken the petrolatum sufficiently to stabilize the emulsion without prohibiting release of the attractant. Suitable thickening agents are solid, semi-solid, and liquid at room temperature. Preferred thickening agents include ethylene-acrylic acid copolymers, polyethylene waxes, and silica (e.g., Cab-O-Sil™).

The attractant to be incorporated into the present formulation may be any water soluble material or combination of materials which attract or stimulate aquatic life, such as fish and crustaceans, to feed. A wide variety of attractants, including those cited in the background prior art discussed in U.S. Pat. Nos. 4,245,420; 4,826,691; and 5,089,277, (the disclosures of which are herein incorporated by reference) have been found to be suitable. Examples include powdered bone meal, powdered food solids, powdered anise, rhodinyl acetate, dehydrated fish meal, dried slaughterhouse waste products, powdered fish, egg, dried milk products, sodium chloride, molasses, fish powders and synthetic spices having a smell similar to that of fish meal, fish oil, stale fish, shell fish, krill powder, pulverized dried sardine, spray dried inactivated and/or autolyzed yeast, powdered squid, borax, wood flour, bentonite, pulp fibers, and cellulosic materials, dicarboxylic amino acids and other amino acids, such as glutamic and aspartic acids, betaine, glycine, alanine, taurine, tryptamine, and tyramine. Academic study of fish behavior relating to chemoreception describes a wide variety of attractant materials suitable for use in the present formulation. Very useful attractant are disclosed in the following publications, the disclosures of which are herein incorporated by reference: a. Hara, Toshiaki J., "Chemoreception," Fish Physiology. Vol. 5, 1971, pp.

18 mins ago, MakoMike said:

If you're not carrying some sort of "refrigeration" like a small cooler with ice, how are you going to keep your fish fresh when you catch it?

Live well. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

All the original patents on gulp are expired. They were artfully drafted to claim broad compositions but not tell you the particular composition they use. They kept a lot of the particulars as secrets. It's in the patents but not in a way that you can say mix a, b, c and get gulp. Not get the composition of the material or the attractant. The amino acids they cited are long believed to be part of the formula.

Edited by Mike

2 mins ago, Mike said:

All the original patents on gulp are expired. They were artfully drafted to claim broad compositions but not tell you the particular composition they use. They kept a lot of the particulars as secrets. It's in the patents but not in a way that you can say mix a, b, c and get gulp. Not get the composition of the material or the attractant. The amino acids they cited are long believed to be part of the formula.

Amino acids are have been known to be fish attractants for a long time. I forget which ones but fish have receptors that can “smell” certain ones.  Power bait is based on amino acids. I’m sure they are in Gulp