Mikeinri

Need recommendation on inexpensive but good boat rods

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Bought a boat.  Like to buy a few rods.  Fishing for fluke, sea bass and stripers mainly. And recommendations on something that won’t break the bank and still nice.  I can buy them as combos or buy the rod and then reels on eBay or something.  

I was in your shoes, it would be ugly sticks all the way. They make a rod to cover any boat application. They are tough as nails, very functional and priced great. 

Stellar lights are good rods.

since ugly went to all stainless guides, I have had problems with several newer ones getting them corrosion inside eyes. Just not worth the price . If some of the models still have ceramic, then I like the action for bait rods.

The stellar light 12-20 is a great all rounder for the price 

Used to.frequent a lot  pack charter and all he used was Tica rods.

Worked well for us and him.

3 hours ago, Water Dog said:

Grab some Star Stellar Lite rods.  I use them on my kayak and they can take a beating and are a great value.

X2 on these. I’ve landed just about every species in the northeast with Star rods, along with plenty of tarpon in Florida. I use the 7’6” 10-20 lb. Great action with a wide range of lure weights, plenty of backbone, and well built. 

Simano Terez rods are my preferred boat rods. They are outsanding & made for braid, lifting power is fabulous and impact resistance is also terrific. priced between $215 and $280. 

Shimano Trevala rods are also hard to beat for the money. $110 to $130

If you are looking for super affordable, other brands like Star, Ugly Stick & Tica are all solid. Do some homework & get your hands on all of these brands and see which one you like the best. 

I've owned St Croix, G. Loomis & Lamiglas custom made boat rods also & I thought they were pretty good. However, I would recommend the Shimano rods, for boat fishing, above all of these brands because I think they're the best made for the money. 

6'6" is a good length to start with. There are many different actions just pick the right blank for your needs..