dugal30

Chatham Waterways

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I was given this yesterday at Ryders and told, “Take care of this as soon as you can”

I’ve never heard of such a thing at any public ramp.

111E7C62-EC63-4C3F-AF06-6EE2EA7CA57F.jpeg

It's been this way for years. If you want to use the Chatham town ramps, you'll need a sticker on the boat and tow vehicle or you'll be ticketed.

This was instituted at least 4 or 5 years ago. It all started because of the massive schools of bass that were parked just off Nauset. The fleet was out there daily getting their limit but there were so many out of towners using the ramps the locals screamed. At one point you had to reserve your spot for a particular day if i remember correctly. Im sure @oldgoat could educate us more on this one...

want to play you gotta pay....there's resident only parking next to the ramp...all others on the sides of the road if you can find a spot for your truck an trailer....it's what happens when you try to put ten pounds of crap in a five pound bag....just not enough room when bass park themselves outside the harbor and everyone wants their fill their boat.

27 mins ago, bradW said:

This was instituted at least 4 or 5 years ago. It all started because of the massive schools of bass that were parked just off Nauset. The fleet was out there daily getting their limit but there were so many out of towners using the ramps the locals screamed. At one point you had to reserve your spot for a particular day if i remember correctly. Im sure @oldgoat could educate us more on this one...

Yes.....you had to call in by 12am the previous nite to reserve a spot...and it was a recorded line.....had to keep buzzing it till you got a ringtone.....every nook and cranny ramp was deluged on commercial days in Chatham or Orleans...or take the hike around Monomoy.....

makes sense i guess.  if they’re capitalizing, they should put the revenue towards channel markers IMO, it’s a guessing game out there

the sand shifts so fast in the bay its not funny....high its fine..low can be as deep as a wagon rut...it's fun to watch folks go full tilt and run aground...happens when you run just a few feet out of the narrow channel....been like that forever.

Just launch behind braxs in harwich  and leave an hour early.  Save ya the headache of dealing with the people at those ramps and the parking issues.  It's also nice to not have to run into those inlets 

1 hour ago, PLajoie said:

Just launch behind braxs in harwich  and leave an hour early.  Save ya the headache of dealing with the people at those ramps and the parking issues.  It's also nice to not have to run into those inlets 

This, Saquaqucket is way less of a hassle. Still see fists fights on the ramps once in a while though lol

1 hour ago, harley48 said:

This, Saquaqucket is way less of a hassle. Still see fists fights on the ramps once in a while though lol

a real pain to run around monomoy especially in the fog.

12 hours ago, capesams said:

the sand shifts so fast in the bay its not funny....high its fine..low can be as deep as a wagon rut...it's fun to watch folks go full tilt and run aground...happens when you run just a few feet out of the narrow channel....been like that forever.

I get that.  With the added revenue, i feel like someone could be out there staying on top of what’s happening in the channels of Chatham’s waterways.  I’ve been out a few times and have kept of the sand, but the whole setup from ryders to outermost is bananas.  The juice doesn’t seem worth the squeeze.

small town politics...the last harbor master they hired cause he had good computer skills got sea sick just stepping in a boat....now the one we have now got caught doing a lot stuff he wasn't supposed too..like saving town morring's for his out of state friends at no charge when there's a one year waiting list for locals ...using the town truck for personal trips to boston.....and they both still work for the town....it's a f..ing joke.

3 hours ago, capesams said:

small town politics...the last harbor master they hired cause he had good computer skills got sea sick just stepping in a boat....now the one we have now got caught doing a lot stuff he wasn't supposed too..like saving town morring's for his out of state friends at no charge when there's a one year waiting list for locals ...using the town truck for personal trips to boston.....and they both still work for the town....it's a f..ing joke.

sounds about right.  my issue was with how random channel markers were placed.  just get someone out there to place them in a uniform manner once a week.  right now it’s bizarre and not worth the $ they’re asking to use their waterways.