TerryS

Stay out of the inlet

44 posts in this topic

Please use some common sense , this is becoming a problem , You do not have “The Right of way “     Don’t think weekend boater will slow down to pass you sorry for rant but I’ve pulled 2 from

the water ‘this year and Please Please stay away from the RR bridge on the running tide 

Great video, thanks for sharing. It appeared that several factors ‘may’ have contributed to that capsize other than location. Glad you/he self-rescued to fish another day.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Certainly agree wholeheartedly that this fellow, or any of us for that matter, should not have attempted to navigate that particular inlet at that time.

I also think Cheech makes a very good point where he says several factors contributed to this capsizing. This guy was in a Pro Angler in that crazy situation makes me cringe.

I'd also like to say that I have seen that video, I'm sure many of us have, it's from 2017. You're not implying that this just occurred maybe just making a point in general? 

Edited by Racerx919

1 hour ago, TerryS said:

Please use some common sense , this is becoming a problem , You do not have “The Right of way “     Don’t think weekend boater will slow down to pass you sorry for rant but I’ve pulled 2 from

the water ‘this year and Please Please stay away from the RR bridge on the running tide 

that video is three years old

Was at the west side of Shinnecock last week and a guy launched his kayak from the East side attempting to paddle across. He flipped about 3/4 of the way and was pulled to the rocks on a jetski that just happened to be there. 

Yes i know its 3 years old , there are 10 times the amount or kayaks and SUPs on the river these days , Hourly rental fleet is a becoming a big problem

Edited by TerryS

8 mins ago, LB said:

And now there is no more wake zone in the inlet big boats just fly in and out.

No it still a no wake zone just no sign anymore

Great Public Service announcement Terry! I think most of us kayak fisherman have enough sense to avoid this type of situation entirely. I agree with you about the kayak rental companies flooding the area to make a buck. This makes for very dangerous situations in the inlets and channels. If I go out on the weekends, I am usually off the water by 8:30, before the recreational boaters arise! 

PS - I give this person props, he was able to stay calm and reenter the kayak. He was very methodical for the situation he found himself in. He must have been young and in shape as I don't think many are.

Edited by Racerx919

1 hour ago, TerryS said:

Yes i know its 3 years old , there are 10 times the amount or kayaks and SUPs on the river these days , Hourly rental fleet is a becoming a big problem

I was on the bow of a party boat coming in yesterday and was absolutely amazed by the amount of yaks in front of the rr bridge.  Couple guys were a little too close for comfort.

Keep safe out there, gents.

1 hour ago, TerryS said:

No it still a no wake zone just no sign anymore

l was at the inlet couple of weeks ago fishing and like l said no sign when are try going to put a sign back up when someone gets killed, lot of yaks out there and the boats just speed right true there with no regard for smaller boats.

Just swiveling his hips to let the boat ride over the wave and keeping his balance with his body vertical might have kept him upright. But IDK if a PAs seat is just too damn high to make that work. Leaning into the wave and keeping the hull flat also works. Finally, grabbing the ****ing paddle to brace your boat when you bad sh*t  coming your way seems beyond pedalers who think they should never, ever have to touch their paddles.

But kayaking a major inlet seems a unwise choice from the outset. They have heavy currents and can have huge waves without power boats. Between the power boats in the channel and anglers throwing lead your way from the edges it's not where I'd go fishing.

Inlets are hectic, you get broadsided port from the boats, and starboard from jetty bounce. That design with raised seat does have some history of rolling over in rough conditions. Vigilance is paramount in conditions like that, the gent was  looking forward making a video! A gentle lean, or flick of the the rudder may have averted that. I’m sure it was snotty out there, pics and videos never show how bad it is.

Been in and out of that inlet and fished that RR bridge on many running tides. Pick your days. Don’t do anything your not fully comfortable doing. 
The worse part of that inlet is the walls. As soon you clear them it isn’t that hectic.

That flip was totally avoidable. IMO. 

Wow. Does not take much to topple the Pro Angler. He did not even get the bounce back off the rocks. The bounce back see saw might have kept him up!