Welder78

12 ft Surf Rod

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ok, so I'm looking to get a 12 ft surf rod for shark fishing from the beach. Right now there will be a penn slammer 3 8500 going onto it. And if a 9500 or 10,500 go on sale I'm gonna scoop one up. Right now I'm leaning towards a Tica (I think dolphin is the go to surf?), or Ocean Master 12ft. Heard they are the best bang for your buck. I did look at the penn carnage II also in 12ft. Right now I am catching sharks between 4-8 foot casting from the surf on a Ugly Stik bigwater. Just looking to get a little nicer rod I have the money right now so why not.

As of now I cast out a spider weight (home made from people I know) 5-6 ounces plus bait depending if the surf is rough or not. When the surf isn't rough I'll cast a 4-5 ounce pyramid plus bait. Usually I'm casting out Big bonita chunks whole whiting or blue fish. Sometimes I'll cast out the whole bonita head but the ugly stik isn't chunking it very far. I was reading you might have to cast a heavier weight to get the OM to load and cast far. So far I haven't had to use anything higher than 5-6 ounces in weights. Tica looking really nice. If I go for one that's rated 6-12 do you have to put a 6 ounce or bigger to get full benefits of it? Or will using a 5 ounce be ok. But with the heavier weight limit I can chunk out those big heads and bigger baits further.

Well also look at other options and recommendations. But those two are the ones I'm looking at right now. 

Edited by Welder78

Lately my goto 12 surf rod is the Daiwa Beefstick.. Being that your deadsticking chunk baits it's a very well made and strong fishing rod. It can handle practically any fish out out there. And the best part it is very reasonably priced...  

3 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

Lately my goto 12 surf rod is the Daiwa Beefstick.. Being that your deadsticking chunk baits it's a very well made and strong fishing rod. It can handle practically any fish out out there. And the best part it is very reasonably priced...  

I've actually have the 10 foot rod in the beef stick along with a bigwater 10 and 12. I do like them both just looking to get something a little nicer.

Look at the Team Daiwa TDSF1202MHFS

I have been a fan of Daiwa's surf rods for 30 years. This rod is rated high at 6-16. It's more like a 6-12 to me. If I was putting together a shark outfit this would be THE rod.

Posted (edited) · Report post

We have been using Penn Prevails and Penn Carnage rods, both 12' rated 4-8oz and have had no problems casting 3-6oz spider weights with chunks of bluefish, mullet, jacks, bonita, etc.

For bang for your buck the Prevail is really tough to beat. I would choose either of those over the Ocean Master or the Uglystick. Landed plenty of blacktips and bullsharks in the 5-8 foot range down in Florida. 

Edited by AJR

6 hours ago, Welder78 said:

Wanting to hear a few more opinions on the two rods if anyone has used them looking to buy very soon

Tica and tsunami airwave elite they make a 12 or maybe 11’4 that is rated 4-8oz. Custom heavers could be bought in the BST for under $300. Cts s7, century, odm, fsc, rh composites etc. 

The older ocean masters were super HD if you can find one I would go that route. Also I would learn conventional if you haven't much better for anything over 4 and bait IMHO.