ondarocks

Seals taking lures?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

If your fishen from the beach it's time to go back to handlines because seals can see your fishen rod and would follow you down the beach  to eat your bait or fish.

So fling out yer hand line and sit down as if yer wornt fishen an try ta fool the #ast#rds.

On 7/14/2020 at 5:05 PM, Stewie said:

I have a friend who landed one years ago after a half hour fight. Leader was cut close to the jig. You'd have to be nuts to try to get the jig out of the seal's mouth

Might as well be trying to unhook a bear

article-2258887-16CE2006000005DC-636_964x583.jpg.33c2196a7d3420c56c9ce385af904983.jpg

Screenshot_20200713-160225_Chrome.jpg.4a711c841172262d6c210d387cdb9043.jpg

Screenshot_20200713-155727_Chrome.jpg.c7275e9a31aecd51ad3f7dffb8a7db1b.jpg

19 hours ago, oldgoat said:

If your fishen from the beach it's time to go back to handlines because seals can see your fishen rod and would follow you down the beach  to eat your bait or fish.

So fling out yer hand line and sit down as if yer wornt fishen an try ta fool the #ast#rds.

I had a buddy grab my line to put a good bend in my rod, and suddenly the seals came from every direction. That was on Nantucket out by Great Point 15 years ago......

I don't mean any disrespect but I have a hard time believing anyone has landed a seal on rod and reel.  Even a small one is a muscled torpedo and being a mammal probably has significantly more stamina than some bass.  Aren't they too smart to hit lures anyways?  

On 7/13/2020 at 2:52 PM, rst3 said:

I'd say fair chance the line gave at the knot to the leader, as opposed to snapping mid-line with a long tail of braid trailing behind the seal.

And if it was the same fat ass that's been lounging and feeding and stealing bass in a certain canal region, I saw it again at very close range two days later and it looked fine. No jig hanging off its face/mouth or anywhere I could see.

No, I'm not so heartless that I would applaud a seal getting tangled in braid and dying slowly of infection over many weeks.

Yes, the seal population is completely absurd and serious population control measures should have been implemented years ago.

But that's never going to happen--so anglers should get used to having their fish stolen. And folks must accept that a handful of seals may be injured or die after they steal hooked fish.

What was once a phenomenon (fish stealing) limited to the outer Cape is now rapidly spreading into many other fishing areas.

But but,, they have ''faces'':waiting:

On 7/13/2020 at 1:49 PM, BrianBM said:

That's a heck of a test of the reel. Any idea what the angler was using?

Hooked one last year livelining a bluefish for brown sharks.  Instantly could tell it wasn't a shark or ray but something different.  "Fought" it for 20 minutes before I saw its head come on the surface with my line aimed right at it.  Had my drag locked and it was still pulling line no problem.  Pointed the rod and grabbed the spool and pulled straight back.  Somehow the hook straightened a bit and pulled free so I luckily got everything back and the seal had nothing trailing.  Reel took the abuse no problem in fact same reel fought a huge Roughtail Ray 2 nights ago for close to 30 minutes at max drag.....some serious sea monsters out there...... VM275 with 80lb braid I use exclusively for sharkin

I had a seal following me in the kayak in June.  It ate one over slot fish then followed me around until I hooked another and stole that one too.

It was in the dark and occasionally I could hear it breathe or splash near me, but it was a really dark night and I couldn't see it.  Spooky.  Got a pretty good sleigh ride too...

On 7/23/2020 at 9:02 AM, CoffeeHangover said:

I don't mean any disrespect but I have a hard time believing anyone has landed a seal on rod and reel.  Even a small one is a muscled torpedo and being a mammal probably has significantly more stamina than some bass.  Aren't they too smart to hit lures anyways?  

Numbskull on this site landed a small seal that hit his plug.  fishing was otherwise dead; he had a new heavy conventional outfit he had just put together; so, what the hell-- he decided to test it out.  I took him an hour. When he landed it and approached it, the seal was so pissed off and active, that he just cut the line and ran away!