ondarocks

Seals taking lures?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, rst3 said:

Watched a seal steal a bass being landed in the canal about two weeks ago, at night. The seal then proceeded to somehow get snagged by the jig. The angler (from NJ I think) was using quality top-end jigging gear, something like a 3-8 or 4-10. Said he was spooled up w/80# braid, (why I dont know), and had been horsing in cows rapidly with this setup. Took him maybe a minute, 90sec tops, for a 30lber in current.

Well once the seal latched on, the guy couldn't handle the rod alone, as he had the drag nearly locked. Two friends imm stepped in to add their muscle, holding back both the rod and the angler. The force imparted by the seal was unbelievable. Because of the 80# mainline, the battle went on for many minutes. Had a series of slow and steady runs of drag, interspersed with longer periods of stalemate.

Finally the line gave way.

We were actually low-key cheering the rod team on to land the sumbitch. Don't know what would've happened if they did.

They would have gotten a ticket and fined for  disturbing a marine mammal.

50 mins ago, MakoMike said:

They would have gotten a ticket and fined for  disturbing a marine mammal.

So what should you do if you hook into a seal? Hold spool and wait for line to break?

1 hour ago, joe0306 said:

So what should you do if you hook into a seal? Hold spool and wait for line to break?

Or just cut the line.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

Or just cut the line.

If a seal is hooked, cutting the line leaves a 50-100yd tail of braid off the animal. Not an ideal solution if it can be avoided.

I would suggest pointing the rod directly at the thing and grabbing/locking the spool to pop it, hopefully at the weakpoint of the braid knot onto leader. 

As for the guy I saw: I doubt he could've cupped the spool and easily popped 80 pound braid on his own. Maybe if his friends helped stabilize him. The highest test braid I've snapped was 65 and that took significant effort. In his situation, a knife would've been a better choice.

That said, when your full body weight is into the rod on a 600lb seal, you can't exactly put the rod down to go grab your knife from your bag. I suppose if you have one clipped to your belt it's possible. But realistically, pointing clamping and snapping seems like the best bet.

Grey Seal after bass.

Nantucket

ezgif-3-d7b85f2bf3e7.gif.26d940227d1bee8b21057247b7e69e2f.gif

Edited by rst3

12 mins ago, rst3 said:

If a seal is hooked, cutting the line leaves a 50-100yd tail of braid off the animal. Not an ideal solution if it can be avoided.

I would suggest pointing the rod directly at the thing and grabbing/locking the spool to pop it, hopefully at the weakpoint of the braid knot onto leader. 

As for the guy I saw: I doubt he could've cupped the spool and easily popped 80 pound braid on his own. Maybe if his friends helped stabilize him. The highest test braid I've snapped was 65 and that took significant effort. In his situation, a knife would've been a better choice.

That said, when your full body weight is into the rod on a 600lb seal, you can't exactly put the rod down to go grab your knife from your bag. I suppose if you have one clipped to your belt it's possible. But realistically, pointing clamping and snapping seems like the best bet.

Grey Seal after bass.

Nantucket

ezgif-3-d7b85f2bf3e7.gif.26d940227d1bee8b21057247b7e69e2f.gif

nice:)

6 hours ago, rst3 said:

Said he was spooled up w/80# braid, (why I dont know),

I use 50lb fireline for fishing boulder fields or mussel beds. I go with a 40 lb fluro leader for an emergency break off. Even if I use 50lb fluro the line should hold to 65lbs. and break the fluro around 55lbs. Whatever his reason for 80lb braid he should have had a leader that would allow for some safety. Do you know what he had on for leader?

1 hour ago, flydog777 said:

I use 50lb fireline for fishing boulder fields or mussel beds. I go with a 40 lb fluro leader for an emergency break off. Even if I use 50lb fluro the line should hold to 65lbs. and break the fluro around 55lbs. Whatever his reason for 80lb braid he should have had a leader that would allow for some safety. Do you know what he had on for leader?

I don't. Most guys use 50 or 60. Which is probably what he had.

Why he was jigging 80 though is still beyond me. Maybe he was using a stella already spooled for yellowfin off NJ who knows.

But thinking it over...

--even though a "team" was on the rod, and his reel locked, I'm skeptical his braid snapped at *full* strength from tensile force. 80#?? That's just an awful lot to ask from a surf setup.

In retrospect--

• The seal was out a long ways by the end

• Guessing now the seal took this long line angle past rocks or nearby structure (which was in the area) and that's what finally did it.

• Almost certain it was his line that gave out--not the leader. So unless he had a hundred pound leader (why would he) the leader should have popped first. The fact it didn't tells me the line rubbed, and plink.

Hit the bulkhead early one season to screw around with pollack. I casted a small jig out, started to retrieve and got a hit. Line peeled off the small reel and as i got close to the arbor I cupped it and the run stopped and the "fish" started to swim toward me.

As it got below me I saw a light shape under me and thought I had a huge lazy striper. Then a seal popped up with my jig in it's mouth, it looked at me and dove. I cupped the spool again and popped it off.

A friend of mine hooked one mid canal. He though he had a ton of weeds as it swam slowly at us. It came right to our feet before making a run. Buddy popped it off a couple seconds after.

11 hours ago, rst3 said:

Why he was jigging 80 though is still beyond me. Maybe he was using a stella already spooled for yellowfin off NJ who knows.

In the past I have heard a number of noobs and out of towners state things like that you have to use 80 or 100 lb line to fish the canal. 

For ridiculous reasons like "the current is so strong" or even that the canal is lined with rocks.

It's out there anyhow.

17 hours ago, rst3 said:

Agree,  but according to the law you have to free it ASAP, so if that means with some line attached, you don't have a choice.

I hooked one at Race Point several years ago. fishing topwater I hooked a 5lb Bluefish and the seal chased it. Got it way from it once second time not so lucky. What a run! I was able to cup the spool and break the leader.

I have a friend who landed one years ago after a half hour fight. Leader was cut close to the jig. You'd have to be nuts to try to get the jig out of the seal's mouth