ondarocks

Seals taking lures?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Last year, fishing a backside cape beach with a savage sand eel I hooked into something I couldn't stop. Now it was at like 3 am and I was half asleep but I ended up cupping the spool to snap it off. For a year I questioned myself wondering if I blew the chance at a fish of a lifetime.

Tonight, same general area but at dusk so I could see, I was fishing an Al Gag whip it. Bringing it in when "thump".

Same deal, line screaming off. This time I waited. Tried to stop it. Took about half a spool of 30 lb braid. Brand new line. Thought maybe for a couple of seconds I was slowing it but kept on charging up the beach. There were quite a few seals around but I thought they avoided lures. Whats the opinion?

Luckily 25 lb leader popped so I got all my line back.

Edited by ondarocks
Spelling

Possible, seal. The lack of light makes it even more probable, since they can`t see it, just feel it.

Might not even be "taking" it.  Could just be they're swimming  through your line and getting snagged.   
I've watched them parade through the same holes I was fishing and thought how easy it would be to snag one and never know it when they're down fishing.

I think the am one was snagged but last night definitely felt like lure was taken. Felt the hit. 

I've never taken a bass bigger than around high 20s maybe thirty lbs. Usually 1 or two decent runs and they're out of gas. Maybe these were those smaller seals. Steady power with just about no let up. Never saw any swirls or tail slapping that would give away a fish.

Ihooked up on a beauty a few years ago up by Strong Island that took me all the way to ministers point before my two thumbs burnt out clamping the spool.

Never did see it.

Watched a seal steal a bass being landed in the canal about two weeks ago, at night. The seal then proceeded to somehow get snagged by the jig. The angler (from NJ I think) was using quality top-end jigging gear, something like a 3-8 or 4-10. Said he was spooled up w/80# braid, (why I dont know), and had been horsing in cows rapidly with this setup. Took him maybe a minute, 90sec tops, for a 30lber in current.

Well once the seal latched on, the guy couldn't handle the rod alone, as he had the drag nearly locked. Two friends imm stepped in to add their muscle, holding back both the rod and the angler. The force imparted by the seal was unbelievable. Because of the 80# mainline, the battle went on for many minutes. Had a series of slow and steady runs of drag, interspersed with longer periods of stalemate.

Finally the line gave way.

We were actually low-key cheering the rod team on to land the sumbitch. Don't know what would've happened if they did.

Someone must've landed a seal. Once. What to do if you manage it? Dehooking would be a great way to get badly bitten.

Seals are mammals with the same capacity to feel pain as we do, I can feel sorry for the poor beast no matter how much of a plague they are. A mouthful of steel, owwww.

That's a heck of a test of the reel. Any idea what the angler was using?

21 mins ago, rst3 said:

Watched a seal steal a bass being landed in the canal about two weeks ago, at night. The seal then proceeded to somehow get snagged by the jig. The angler (from NJ I think) was using quality top-end jigging gear, something like a 3-8 or 4-10. Said he was spooled up w/80# braid, (why I dont know), and had been horsing in cows rapidly with this setup. Took him maybe a minute, 90sec tops, for a 30lber in current.

Well once the seal latched on, the guy couldn't handle the rod alone, as he had the drag nearly locked. Two friends imm stepped in to add their muscle, holding back both the rod and the angler. The force imparted by the seal was unbelievable. Because of the 80# mainline, the battle went on for many minutes. Had a series of slow and steady runs of drag, interspersed with longer periods of stalemate.

Finally the line gave way.

We were actually low-key cheering the rod team on to land the sumbitch. Don't know what would've happened if they did.

Shame that the seal will likely become tangled in that line now and die.

26 mins ago, oldgoat said:

Ihooked up on a beauty a few years ago up by Strong Island that took me all the way to ministers point before my two thumbs burnt out clamping the spool.

Never did see it.

I heard the news about Peter. Congrats!

33 mins ago, joe0306 said:

Shame that the seal will likely become tangled in that line now and die.

I'd say fair chance the line gave at the knot to the leader, as opposed to snapping mid-line with a long tail of braid trailing behind the seal.

And if it was the same fat ass that's been lounging and feeding and stealing bass in a certain canal region, I saw it again at very close range two days later and it looked fine. No jig hanging off its face/mouth or anywhere I could see.

No, I'm not so heartless that I would applaud a seal getting tangled in braid and dying slowly of infection over many weeks.

Yes, the seal population is completely absurd and serious population control measures should have been implemented years ago.

But that's never going to happen--so anglers should get used to having their fish stolen. And folks must accept that a handful of seals may be injured or die after they steal hooked fish.

What was once a phenomenon (fish stealing) limited to the outer Cape is now rapidly spreading into many other fishing areas.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

It was dark and I couldn't see specifics. Only that it was a quality, very stout jigging rod.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

I'd agree.  If that reel didn't wind up with a wobble I'd want to know what reel it was!