Mike Fixter

Upgrades on 1929 A.L. Young Machinery Co. Bandsaw

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I've had this old band saw for a long time & finally got tired of the blade walking off the wheel & also not being able to cut as small a radius as I feel it should.  Getting the wheels off & installing the new tires (blue bands) was the biggest challenge.  Adjusting the guides was fairly simple.  I think I will also remove the old guide under the table & replace it with a newer upgrade.  The third photo depicts adjustments for blade tilt & blade tension...... Quite a learning curve to get everything fine tuned...I'm also going to install a new blade before deciding on how well these upgrades work.  Hopefully all this will make for an improvement If not I'll just call the complaint dept.  Mike

P7120050.JPG

P7120051.JPG

P7120052.JPG

P7120053.JPG

P7120056.JPG

P7120057.JPG

Agreed on the smaller width blade for tighter radius.... The one pictures is 5/8"  & 3 teeth per inch.  It is actually a meat cutting blade & the kerf is not to radical =  perfect for cutting slots in the face of a plug to receive a heavy duty metal lip. 

my grand farther had a 36" wheel band saw...it had lead sleeves with a oil reservoir..he built small skiffs in part of the barn....cut out bow stems an corner braces...only ever saw it with a 3/16 blade on it...he'd turn it off and it'd run 15 minutes just spinning by itself....it was so well balanced.

1 hour ago, capesams said:

my grand farther had a 36" wheel band saw...it had lead sleeves with a oil reservoir..he built small skiffs in part of the barn....cut out bow stems an corner braces...only ever saw it with a 3/16 blade on it...he'd turn it off and it'd run 15 minutes just spinning by itself....it was so well balanced.

That is interesting.... My band saw is 20" & although it worked when I got it.... It was still a bit of a basket case.  I got it from the son of a marine hardware salesman who got the saw out of an old boat building yard in Berkley, CA.  The wheels are HEAVY & well balanced for sure.... Darn thing runs forever after I flip the off switch..... Mike

as he got up in years he turned to making decoys..large an small...used the saw to cut them out...he could cut a dime size circle on it.....it was lost in a fire...real shame.

The new tires & guides are working great so I moved on to my next phase which is designing a  connection port for saw dust collection via my Ridgid shop vac.   Originally this saw had nothing within it's design to deal with saw dust collection... .  So far it's showing a lot of potential, but the real test will be re sawing 8" redwood..   The blade slot in the original old lead slug that the blade passes through was getting to big so I made a replacement from Rock Maple.  To replace the blade all I need to do is remove 2 screws holding the suction nozzle.  I'm also considering replacing the wooden portion of the table with a much thicker/heavier piece of Rock Maple in hopes of getting it perfectly level & more stability.    Mike

1 hour ago, moocks said:

Rock Maple ? You cutting up that 200 year old Maple I gave you....

Relax Moocks..... I would not do that to you & your maple.... The smaller of the 2 bench tops got turned into a bomb proof coffee table.  The bigger bench top still sits as is & will most likely become a "Harvest Style Table" someday soon before I'm to much of a wreck to finish it.  p.s.  A small scrap of your Rock Maple left over from the coffee table project got used for the "plug"  on my band saw table.

19 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

Relax Moocks..... I would not do that to you & your maple.... The smaller of the 2 bench tops got turned into a bomb proof coffee table.  The bigger bench top still sits as is & will most likely become a "Harvest Style Table" someday soon before I'm to much of a wreck to finish it.  p.s.  A small scrap of your Rock Maple left over from the coffee table project got used for the "plug"  on my band saw table.

How dare you Mike! Moocks grew that rock maple from a seed as a child!