fishoninct

Gloucester advice

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Coming to Cape Ann on Wednesday to stay for a week. Will target stripers and fluke. 

Running a 17’ tracker with 50 hp. Any advice for areas to launch and fish are appreciated.

Fishon!

Coming from where? I don't think launches have been reopened for out of staters. Gloucester is not known to have a targetable fluke population as far as I know. I rarely hear of them being caught north of Cape Cod.

Launch out of the Annisquam River. Find a boat ramp.  If the SW wind is too much in Ipswich Bay round Halibut Point and fish the rocks out front. Forget fluke or Flounder, Bass will be the real target up there unless BFT are beyond Halibut Point on the 180 line.  With your 17' boat just stick to the bass.  You can troll the tube up against the rocks and find good bass or find the pogies/bunker around Ipswich Bay to Newburyport if the conditions allow it for a 17' boat. You can cast into the white water there with rubber and plastic and catch decent bass.  You can toss a pencil, chunk. What ever. Might even be mackeral all the way around to Thatchers Island at the stick.  Milk island, Loblolly Cove, Pebble Beach all hold bass.  You just have to watch the wind there if you launch your boat out of the annisquam. You may want to launch of Gloucestor Harbor and ride the coast up.