Fishlessjoe

Fluke in the surf

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Going pretty much fluke mode although I still hope for some yellow eyed devils and stripes. Anybody else doing the same I am interested to see your posts here.

Been fluking South Jersey for a few weeks now. Only two keepers so far but more than enough shorts to keep it interesting.

There are other meat fish around too. I love fluking but I have been targeting spanish, triggers, and kings as well

9 hours ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

Been fluking South Jersey for a few weeks now. Only two keepers so far but more than enough shorts to keep it interesting.

Out front? Or in the inlets and out back? I have only been having luck with sharks and kings where I am at in South Jersey when doing beach days with the wife and kids. I did catch a cocktail the other day during a bunker blitz which was the first time I have ever caught a blue there. The blitzes have been the biggest I have ever seen down there this year.

53 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

Out front? Or in the inlets and out back? I have only been having luck with sharks and kings where I am at in South Jersey when doing beach days with the wife and kids. I did catch a cocktail the other day during a bunker blitz which was the first time I have ever caught a blue there. The blitzes have been the biggest I have ever seen down there this year.

All of the above but mostly outback. Saw what looked like a pod of small bait being harassed the other afternoon in an inlet but they were well out of casting range, not sure what was on them.

Out front MoCo this morning with my buddy. 6-9am water a little dirty, surf was a little rough, SW wind. Fished both sides of a low tide. I had one Gulp tail bit off, my bud managed 1 small fluke. Tried 2 different spots. Some mussels and cabbage but not enough to complain about. A little disappointing but it was still a fine morning standing in the suds.

Posted (edited) · Report post

OC out front daytime fishing incoming and outgoing has been spotty.  fish, but no doormats and not thick with fish.    100:1 shorts to keepers, if I had to guess.  Just a wild arse guess, since I didnt get any keepers out front and didnt catch 100 fish!  mix of Gulp,  hair jigs, fishbites & blood worms.

Back of Barnegat bay was consistent 12-14" fluke on moving tide a couple weeks ago.  Exactly 25:1 shorts to keepers.   Gulp and live killies.

Inlets more recently, bigger bait drifting during changing tide yielded exactly 4:1 ratio of shorts to keepers, about the best ratio I have heard recently.   Live mullet.

Love fluking the surf, this year hasnt been great for me in that regard.  

Edited by 55555s

On 7/11/2020 at 11:51 PM, BobBass said:

There are other meat fish around too. I love fluking but I have been targeting spanish, triggers, and kings as well

Any regulations on keeping any of these fish(Spanish, triggers, kings, etc.) in NJ? I couldn't find anything.

On 7/11/2020 at 11:51 PM, BobBass said:

What kind of rig do you use for triggers?

31 mins ago, kevbo1756 said:

Any regulations on keeping any of these fish(Spanish, triggers, kings, etc.) in NJ? I couldn't find anything.

Spanish is right there on the “Attention Anglers” sheet. 10@ 14”. Triggers have no regulations