55555s

Sand crab / mole crab teaser pattern?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Fresh from the vice at lunch! Working from home definitely has its perks... 

Used rubber legs for the claws, hackle for the eyes/mouth, synthetic hare’s mask dubbing for the body, orange ice dub for the egg sac, and deer hair for the shell. 

9C882277-B536-459B-AD5C-FBA9F38E9365.jpeg

On 7/12/2020 at 7:18 AM, TinyTrout said:

I did tie a few with dubbing instead of chenille I just found it to be more work but did give a little bit more of a larger profile! I am just experimenting with a bunch of different ways to tie these.

Craft fur or bucktail tied over the top and filled over with a UV resin looks really good too.

I've tied them with tan bucktail humped over a chenille body. They looked real fishy, but the bucktail wasn't very durable in the rough surf where I fish. I coated them with Hard as Nails. Might try the craft fur idea. Some nice pics posted already, but there are many more if you Google it. Lost Coast Outfitters (SF, CA) sells mole crab flies, for example.

Hi 55555s,

Please refer to my website (alancaolo.com) and click the Fly Patterns page. Scroll down a bit to the Beach Bug. This is a simple-to-tie and very effective pattern that imitates the mole crabs you’re referring to. This fly consistently catches in the surf, as well as other sand bottom environments where Emerita talpoida is found. Good luck . . . 

29 mins ago, a caolo said:

Hi 55555s,

Please refer to my website (alancaolo.com) and click the Fly Patterns page. Scroll down a bit to the Beach Bug. This is a simple-to-tie and very effective pattern that imitates the mole crabs you’re referring to. This fly consistently catches in the surf, as well as other sand bottom environments where Emerita talpoida is found. Good luck . . . 

Fantastic!  Thank very much.  My fly tying efforts thus far are limited to tying simple bucktail teasers on 2/0 hooks.  They work, I like them, but they are homely and look like a caveman tied them.  To be fair, I have no gear (yet).  I simply use bucktail, thread, and sally hansen.  

I will check it out. I appreciate all fo the advice in the thread. 

Forgot to upload these but McFlyFoam filled with UV resin makes for a great shell! I’ve dumbed it down to just ice dub chenille - root beer and orange - and the McFlyFoam folded over filled in with the resin. I fish them on a sinking line with a 4’ leader. 

50B2D02B-3957-473A-B5A8-E427A9C4FB2A.jpeg

24466741-E7DC-4E58-A785-28ABA0F907D8.jpeg

On 7/30/2020 at 6:44 PM, 55555s said:

Fantastic!  Thank very much.  My fly tying efforts thus far are limited to tying simple bucktail teasers on 2/0 hooks.  They work, I like them, but they are homely and look like a caveman tied them.  To be fair, I have no gear (yet).  I simply use bucktail, thread, and sally hansen.  

I will check it out. I appreciate all fo the advice in the thread. 

Alan Caolo has published the finest book on "Sight Fishing for Striped Bass." It is a beautiful Book of Fly fishing Strategies for inshore, OffShore and the Surf.

Alan leave no stone unturned. Great Pictures, fly patterns and good, solid common sense directions for almost every sort of water in  New England. the ISBN: for his book is 1-57188-253-7 original cost $25.00!

I'm fishing on the Coast of the New Jersey Shore in the morning.  I'm a comfortable Fly Fisher.  81, and still fishing  with flies. I make my fishing comfortable place.  I have a beach Chair, a bag of flies and  bringing Alan Book to refresh my 81 year old mind.  The warm weather has started to move a lot of the bait out of the Shallow  Rivers.  I believe the heat has pushed them out Front and moving south for the winter along the Jersey Shore beaches from Sandy Hook to Cape May.

Enjoy the weekend.  RJ

On 8/1/2020 at 6:12 AM, a caolo said:

Wow . . . RJ, thank you very much for that review - and many others over the years - all much appreciated. Have a great weekend . . .

n 8/1/2020 at 6:12 AM, a caolo said:

Wow . . . RJ, thank you very much for that review - and many others over the years - all much appreciated. Have a great weekend . . .

Alan, Excellent work needs to be seen! Especially yours!  You are #2 on my list of  10.

Rich Murphy is #1. The funniest thing is Both of the you are Engineers!  You built submarines and Murphy built and Maintained roads & Bridges!  Both of Your writing covered all the bases!  Clear english Words and magnificent pictures & charts.

#3 Ed Mitchell’s Flyrodding the Estuaries is still the greatest introduction to Salt water Fly Fishing to new & old guys like me!

I would love to get you 3 together  at a cottage in Harwich Port, Cape Cod starting Friday, October 2, 2020 to October 9, 2020. 7 nights under $50.00 per night.

There will be. Full moon on October1, 2020. I have a full house there September 25 to leaving 0ctober 2.  The Cottage is equipped with a laundry, Cable TV, big kitchen 4 bedrooms, Two full baths between rooms 1& 2 and 3 & 4. A big patio out back with  A Webber Gas Grill.  Out front is a lawn 200 feet deep abs 80 to 90 feet wide! A 200 year old spreading Oak Tree for shade. The location is within 10 minutes to cover the beaches & Inlets between Chatham, MA.  Brewster Flats 15 minutes straight across the Cape.  Barnstable a 20 minute ride and the Canal in 30 minutes.

Mike Oliver found the place 7 years ago.  I joined Mike there 5 years ago.  I fished with Mike 9 years ago at  Montauk! Mike, All of the UK is shut down because International air flight’s shut down for the duration..... of C-10

If any fly fisher wants to explore staying at the Cottage October 2 to 9 Message me at my Sol Address.

RJ

Edited by RJ
too many mistakes It was ado over.