55555s

Sand crab / mole crab teaser pattern?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Every creature we caught and ate for the past 2 weeks was gorged on sandcrabs.  I think even the squirrels are feeding on them!

 

  I would like to incorporate a simple sandcrab pattern as my teaser for general surf fishing.    I am not opposed to using freshly caught sandcrabs, but they are heavy, come off easily, and I'd like to have something simple for times like this.

 

I am thinking greyish brown over white with a clump of orange.  I am going to cobble together something this week, but I figured I'd ask here first.  

 

Thank you in advance.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teaser? What's your method of fishing? You should read @MC55 reports and his how to. It would have to be fished dead drift, they don't swim very far or fast. Fished in front or behind a lure doesn't make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, saltyh2ofly said:

Teaser? What's your method of fishing? You should read @MC55 reports and his how to. It would have to be fished dead drift, they don't swim very far or fast. Fished in front or behind a lure doesn't make sense.

 

A long dropper loop above a little weight or a light carolina rig.  

 

I realize this is the flyfishing forum, but I fish with a spinner.  Tough to cast a crab, especially to get it where you want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d probably buy some mustad 34007bn hooks to suit the local sizes, maybe a size 2 or so, some large lead eyes, as webby a pack of saddle hackles in a light grey or a tan—once again, to suite the local forage—and then a bag of mallard flank feathers dyed tan to look like wood duck feathers. 

 

Tie the hook inverted, tie the lead eyes behind the hook eye on the side opposite the bend, cover the hook with thread, Palmer those webby saddles over the hook shank and then tie the duck feather over the whole mass of hackle to resemble the shellback and it’s done.

 

Thats a simple tie and once you get good at palmering the hackle and sweeping it backwards as you wind it, you’ll be able to wrap a couple feathers at a time and really speed it up. If durability is a concern, put a thin layer of head cement before palmering the feathers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I make these "flats" jigs, that could probably imitate sand/mole crabs in whatever colors they may be where you are. Most that I ever recall seeing where an olive/grey basic color with tan to pinkish colors for the rest of the body & legs, some with a bright orange egg sack. 

 

This type jig isn't specifically anything specific, but could imitate a variety of crabs or shrimps. I pour these heads, in 1/8 & 1/4 oz with 1/0 hook. They're a basic jig style used in places such as the Key's, but can work well in any shallow water, and of course can be dressed any way you like. They're also made so that a weed guard can be added, tied on in the front just behind the hook eye.

 

A light jig might be a better choice for you since you're using spinning gear. Something like these jigs or maybe the Sparkie style which might have a better shape for imitating sand/mole crabs.

 

1283.jpg

Edited by Jim H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the Sparkie style of jig, although this one is made for a weed guard to be epoxied/glued in later. They can be obtained in small sizes with out a weed guard, and on a sand bottom, might be a good choice for you. I like these heads for various purposes with a 1/0 hook, and again could be dressed to imitate those sand/mole crabs. Maybe with a two tone paint, an olive green over tan perhaps. 

 

Again, might be a better choice for spinning gear. 

100_6211.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if YouTube video links are allowed but check out the video called "Sandbar Crab Fly Pattern Tutorial" by "Svend Diesel". He uses the egg foam to create them. I was not a fan of how the foam looked after they got wet... Trimming them after a day of fishing did help but I was not really happy with them.

 

McFly angler also has another video which is similar to how I tie them now.

 

I have since adopted just lead eyes, rubber legs as the arms/claws, chenille as the body, ice dub as the egg sack, and a feather as the shell. I tie them on a size 2 - Ahrex NS115.

 

I use a sinking tip line and I think I am going to try to tie some without the lead eyes as well.

P1000309.jpg

IMG-0318.jpg

IMG-0319.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TinyTrout said:

Not sure if YouTube video links are allowed but check out the video called "Sandbar Crab Fly Pattern Tutorial" by "Svend Diesel". He uses the egg foam to create them. I was not a fan of how the foam looked after they got wet... Trimming them after a day of fishing did help but I was not really happy with them.

 

McFly angler also has another video which is similar to how I tie them now.

 

I have since adopted just lead eyes, rubber legs as the arms/claws, chenille as the body, ice dub as the egg sack, and a feather as the shell. I tie them on a size 2 - Ahrex NS115.

 

I use a sinking tip line and I think I am going to try to tie some without the lead eyes as well.

P1000309.jpg

IMG-0318.jpg

IMG-0319.jpg

Nice man. Ive been looking for something similar for a local rock wall. They’re thick in the wash. 
 

Don’t have chenille so I might try clumps of laser dub tied in. And a webby rooster saddle butt for the shell. The V where the tip gets removed might make some little claws.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, chuckbucktail said:

Nice man. Ive been looking for something similar for a local rock wall. They’re thick in the wash. 
 

Don’t have chenille so I might try clumps of laser dub tied in. And a webby rooster saddle butt for the shell. The V where the tip gets removed might make some little claws.  

 

I did tie a few with dubbing instead of chenille I just found it to be more work but did give a little bit more of a larger profile! I am just experimenting with a bunch of different ways to tie these.

 

Craft fur or bucktail tied over the top and filled over with a UV resin looks really good too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.