burch

Penn 710z

12 posts in this topic

Can anyone give me some history on this reel.  
ive searched for the 710 reels and all I can find is info on the greenies.  I’d also like to know if I can run braid - what brand and test to use.  I’m running Trilene 12lb. XL on it now. 

715228CC-856B-47DA-B377-6E78A83B4C35.jpeg

E8EAEA89-28DC-4183-83A3-DBF83C551949.jpeg

C62E3E08-B7EC-4C30-A7B8-8FAE184E55C2.jpeg

Fireline.

I like fireline 14lb on my 712 and have 20 on my 710.  

I dont recall trying 10lb on the Penn's, though I use it elswhere.  

The 20lb fireline is IME noticeably thicker and you can unmoor a building with it.  

14 fireline is, IME/O, a nice happy medium for both the 712 and 710.  

I have had a few 710Z over the years and one recommendation I can make is never use Power Pro braid. It is one nightmare after another. 

I will also give my vote to Fireline any size from 20# or lower and go with the lowest size to accommodate what you will be targeting and the conditions that you fish in. For example, I would only fill with 20# if you were constantly fishing rocky areas or jetties.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Is 14 braid stronger than 14 mono. If I can get 200 yards of 14 mono on it, how many yards of 14 braid can I put on it.   

Edited by burch

Depends on the braid. 14# Fireline breaks at somewhere around 35#. Buy a 300 yard spool, that should fill it.

TimS

I have had 710's and 710z's for 50 years, they are good, solid, but the retrieve is a little slow for some lures .  But they work great trolling , drifting or fishing bait. 

I also have a vintage 704z.    What test braid and how many yrds should I use for it.   I’ve got 17 lb. mono on it now but it really dont hold enough for a surf reel.    

19 mins ago, lurejunkie00 said:

I have had 710's and 710z's for 50 years, they are good, solid, but the retrieve is a little slow for some lures .  But they work great trolling , drifting or fishing bait. 

I usually just free line live bait with it or cut bait for freshwater catfishin 

22 hours ago, TimS said:

Depends on the braid. 14# Fireline breaks at somewhere around 35#. Buy a 300 yard spool, that should fill it.

TimS

^^^

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/11/2020 at 8:45 PM, burch said:

I also have a vintage 704z.    What test braid and how many yrds should I use for it.   I’ve got 17 lb. mono on it now but it really dont hold enough for a surf reel.    

I started with 50# PP when I first got mine and HATED it. Too limp and wind knots galore. Switched to 20lb Fireline and have not had a single wind knot issue since. I do throw a lot more tins these days so that definitely helps me keep the line nice and tight on the spool. It’s not cheap and it’s hard to find in stores (you’ll need 300 yards plus some mono backing) but it works. 30lb Fireline would probably work fine too. I have 14lb Fireline on my 712Z.

Edited by iwantmypie