2sammich

Anyone drive from fla to pa recently ?

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

I have a trip planned at the end of July. Driving from Florida to p.a. Has anyone here attempted this lately? I plan on staying in p.a. for about 2 weeks, then go to Jersey before heading back to fla. Info I can find say p.a. is "recommending" self quarantine. I think Florida is recommending the same thing. 

What kind of problems might I encounter? Where is the best place on line to look for the most current/accurate info ? Can you simply get pulled over for having out of state plates?  

Driving through 7 states sounds like it could be a huge pain in the ass. 

I don't know anything for sure, so half talking out my ass, but I don't think you'll have any issues. At least not in PA.

Though numbers are way down, I still see a good many out of state plates, including FL on the highways. Our State Police pretty much went into hiding when this thing started, it's literally been months since I've seen a trooper on the road.. 

But hey, if you do get pulled over the worst that can happen is that you'll get 14 days of free lodging, food & sex.... 

Haven’t heard anything about self quarantine in PA. I have heard, Murphy is kicking around the idea of not allowing out of Staters into NJ. That may be an issue. Safe travels

You'll be fine. Even Subcommandante Murphy, the biggest annoying busybody in recent memory, said that the self-quarantining deal in New Jersey is voluntary: they are not stopping cars crossing the bridges into the state. They don't have the manpower do to the stops, but more important, they lack the legal authority to do so: interstate stuff is explicitly the domain of the feds. 

The only thing I would recommend is driving straight through. I would not try to do the trip in two days, unless you want to sleep in your car. Just take a page out of the Neal Cassady playbook: pop a couple of goofballs, put some Charlie Parker on the radio, and keep on moving.

Buddy of mine got turned right back around by a PA state trooper not long after crossing the border so dont be shocked if someone tries it. Illegal as hell, just dont be shocked if they try.

2 mins ago, Markushook said:

I have heard, Murphy is kicking around the idea of not allowing out of Staters into NJ. 

It ain't gonna happen. A lot -- a lot -- of people who work in hospitals in PA and NY live in Jersey. Are they going to give them special stickers so they can come home? Are they going to allow people who are driving through the state -- as long as they pinky swear that they will not stop and get out while they're in Jersey? The whole thing is a joke. 

New Jersey can pass whatever law they want, saying you have to quarantine or whatever, but the state, no matter how much Phil Murphy wants to, cannot make crossing state lines a crime: that is explicitly the domain of the federal government. 

When they did the 14 day quarantine in Rhode Island earlier this year they had hotels and rental property owners pass out a document telling renters to self quarantine while in state.  You should be fine depending on where you stay.  Of course you might have local gestapo types in certain neighborhoods looking at you with suspicion.  The state also had those big electronic signs stating the quarantine requirements at each toll station and border area between states.   

If you get stopped, tell them that you were on the way from PA to FL, then, on your way there, you decided that traveling during the pandemic was a bad idea, and you turned around and are headed back home. :idea:

If you get stopped, just tell them you are on your way to wherever and as soon as you get there you will be quarantining for 14 days. How is anyone going to be able to argue that? 

8 mins ago, ByronPA said:

If you get stopped, just tell them you are on your way to wherever and as soon as you get there you will be quarantining for 14 days. How is anyone going to be able to argue that? 

I think I'd prefer to tell them that I'm going to meet the mother ship, so it can take me back to my home planet. 

1 hour ago, 2sammich said:

I have a trip planned at the end of July. Driving from Florida to p.a. Has anyone here attempted this lately? I plan on staying in p.a. for about 2 weeks, then go to Jersey before heading back to fla. Info I can find say p.a. is "recommending" self quarantine. I think Florida is recommending the same thing. 

What kind of problems might I encounter? Where is the best place on line to look for the most current/accurate info ? Can you simply get pulled over for having out of state plates?  

Driving through 7 states sounds like it could be a huge pain in the ass. 

Just did GA to NJ yesterday.  No problems either way you nervous nelly.  Most Rest stops are requiring masks so if you are looking to pick up a trucker that could be a gamble.

38 mins ago, Belmo said:

You'll be fine. Even Subcommandante Murphy, the biggest annoying busybody in recent memory, said that the self-quarantining deal in New Jersey is voluntary: they are not stopping cars crossing the bridges into the state. They don't have the manpower do to the stops, but more important, they lack the legal authority to do so: interstate stuff is explicitly the domain of the feds. 

The only thing I would recommend is driving straight through. I would not try to do the trip in two days, unless you want to sleep in your car. Just take a page out of the Neal Cassady playbook: pop a couple of goofballs, put some Charlie Parker on the radio, and keep on moving.

24 mins ago, Tom T said:

Just did GA to NJ yesterday.  No problems either way you nervous nelly.  Most Rest stops are requiring masks so if you are looking to pick up a trucker that could be a gamble.

Not nervous, lol. I'll just blow through any roadblocks.