Recruitkim

What's a good career for a guy who likes fish and fishing?

Rate this topic

127 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

What's a good career for a guy who likes fish and fishing? Ideally something that involves both. 

Besides the obvious bait and tackle store, charter captain, deck hand, etc. I mean absolutely no disrespect to these guys who work like 16 hours a day in some of the harshest conditions for honest pay. It's just that I think the blue collar nature of this field often keeps away a lot of young men, who are forced by their parents and society into studying something they end up hating and that is basically useless anyway (business, history, criminal justice, etc)

I'm thinking marine biologist, researcher, environmental lawyer, public advocate, etc. 

Edited by Recruitkim

While there may be a few exceptions out there, if you want to make a living in the marine sciences field, you're going to need a PhD. Marine biology is a very competitive field. If you were really considering going this route, I would highly recommend getting your bachelors in biology or environmental science. Both these fields would give you a decent amount of job opportunities after completing an undergrad, while still allowing you to pursue a marine sciences grad program if you're still willing to go to school for an additional 6 years.

I interned at a marine science lab during my undergrad for a semester. We did some very cool work both on the water and in the lab, but there were also plenty of days spent combing through and organizing endless amounts of data. Liking fish isn't enough for a marine science career, it would need to be your life's passion.

Edited by C.Robin

Fire fighter.

Time off is the most important factor in fishing/hunting. Being a fire fighter will give you the best schedule to fish. 

1.  M.D.  Once you accomplish that, head toward the sub specialty of Dermatology, or Anesthesiology.

2.  An alternative:  Marry into money.

Criminal justice and this lifestyle go hand-in-hand. A wildlife resource officer (DEEP officer, warden, etc....) is a great way to protect the resource that we love and there is no better "office." If I had to do it all over that's what I would do. 

Less important than the job is living next to water. The closer you are near productive water the more you’ll fish. It doesn’t matter if you’re at Starbucks or a law firm, you’re going to fish more than a doctor an hour inland.

Being a bio teacher on a coastal town would be nice, summers off, off by 3:30, and if you play your cards right you may even swing first period off for a morning bite - decent retirement to boot.

Airline Pilot, you can fish all over the world and getting there is free.

Usually, hobbies take a back seat to careers, the important part is to have a skill that will allow you the comfort of doing what you love. And sometimes working in a field that you think would be in your wheelhouse, turns out to be not so rewarding.

Park Ranger always sounded good, not sure you can support a lifestyle or family on the coin they make and you might discover the pettiness and abuse you take from the public and your employer isn't what you signed up for.

Pick a career you like, are good at, is secure and pays well enough to support the lifestyle you wish. Less than 10% of folks actually end up doing what they studied for, unless you have a degree in a certain profession like doc, lawyer, teacher etc. most of us find jobs and then either by experience, knowledge, contact or luck advance enough to become desirable to others or stay with the same company and move forward.

I will say this, working for yourself has many advantages, unfortunately, most bury themselves in their businesses. Not a bad thing, just usually takes away from spare time.

Good luck. 

How about an alternate reality like I did?  Got my PhD in a life science and worked in industry for 30 years far away from my striped obsession, living in the Midwest.  Banked my gains and retired early to a house on the water so now I fish every day.  It's bad enough balancing a career and family life.  Adding fishing to that mix just makes it all that more complex.  

Now I only have to balance fishing vs. orders from "The Admiralty".  At times it's difficult, but being a morning person and the Fleet Admiral is not, ensures AMs are mine with no restrictions...

Edited by Roccus7

20 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

How about becoming a gynecologist???? 

Go to Walmart today and see if that is still a good career choice