ace4570

Recommended Surf Rod Size?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Hello All,

This past fall I bought a surf rod because I really wanted to get into surf fishing. However this rod was massive and was too large for the plugs I was throwing. I live on the north shore of Long Island and fish the beaches there regularly. I am looking into purchasing a basic 8ft all around rod for plugs and bucktails. Is eight feet enough for these beaches? Also what reel size would y'all recommend for an 8ft rod?

Most fisherman on the North Shore throw a 9ft for general purpose fishing. Can get away with 8ft in calm conditions. 4000-5000 size reel usually.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Welcome to SOL! I would say that 8ft is adequate for the north shore/inshore fishing. If fishing the south shore of LI you might want a little more length, but as you will hear often most of the time you don't need to cast far to catch them. If weight is a concern for you, I would get a 3000 size BG/Penn. Also using a 30 lb high quality braid will improve your cast.  

Edited by MAGA

I don’t fish the north shore, but the kind of fishing I do in my area requires the same kind of tackle. Basically I’m using a Lamiglas 9’ 1-3 and a VSX150. I’m using 30lb suffix 832 and it works like a dream for everything from 1/2oz to a little over 3. Obviously you don’t need a $1300 setup. I just got my dad a Tica Dolphin and a Daiwa BG4000 for the same fishing.

2 mins ago, ASrod said:

I don’t fish the north shore, but the kind of fishing I do in my area requires the same kind of tackle. Basically I’m using a Lamiglas 9’ 1-3 and a VSX150. I’m using 30lb suffix 832 and it works like a dream for everything from 1/2oz to a little over 3. Obviously you don’t need a $1300 setup. I just got my dad a Tica Dolphin and a Daiwa BG4000 for the same fishing.

Are Tica rods good? I've heard many reviews on them and most are positive

Like other have said, a 9 foot rod would be ideal. If you are just plugging ratings of 1-3 on most rods should give you a realistic 1/2 to 2. That is the lure range you would be using the most. 

I like 9ft & 5500(ish) for my "do all"  fits in my car trunk. Not too heavy. Not too light.  

I also like a 7ft/4000 for light stuff.  Mainly tossin lures (1/2-1oz) and light bait fishing (scup size stuff) 

Those 2 setups get 95% of my use. Sometimes I'll bust out the 10ftH rod for spring river fishing. But not much.  I'm a meat fisherman. And don't focus on things like that.  

Nearly all my SW fishing is CT LIS. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

On 7/10/2020 at 9:09 PM, ASrod said:

I just got my dad a Tica Dolphin and a Daiwa BG4000 for the same fishing.

+1

Save the other $900 for bait, travel expsnse, lures, etc.  

On 7/10/2020 at 9:13 PM, ace4570 said:

They are 90 to 95% of the way to being as good as the most expensive rod money can buy.    You pay a LOT for the remaining 5-10%, as per the Law of Diminishing Returns.

On 7/10/2020 at 9:13 PM, ace4570 said:

It’s a really solid rod for $100. So far the biggest test was a 15lb ray that it handled perfectly. If you can, one piece is always nice. If not, two piece will be fine.

On 7/10/2020 at 5:27 PM, ace4570 said:

Hello All,

This past fall I bought a surf rod because I really wanted to get into surf fishing. However this rod was massive and was too large for the plugs I was throwing. I live on the north shore of Long Island and fish the beaches there regularly. I am looking into purchasing a basic 8ft all around rod for plugs and bucktails. Is eight feet enough for these beaches? Also what reel size would y'all recommend for an 8ft rod?

What was the rod that you got which you found too big? If you’re fishing beaches I’d assume there’s a chance for a big fish. All you need to do is hook into large once, be undergunned and wish you had the old rod. After a few of those experiences myself, I usually try to fish strong rods. Though I couldn’t resist the 9’6” Suzuki which is a fun rod to use. I try to limit it to river fishing.

7 hours ago, Reed422 said:

What was the rod that you got which you found too big? If you’re fishing beaches I’d assume there’s a chance for a big fish. All you need to do is hook into large once, be undergunned and wish you had the old rod. After a few of those experiences myself, I usually try to fish strong rods. Though I couldn’t resist the 9’6” Suzuki which is a fun rod to use. I try to limit it to river fishing.

True, experience that many times. Now all my surf rods are beefstick. Never underestimate what the beach can provide n the BIG fish in it.

10 hours ago, Reed422 said:

11ft cheap Daiwa rod from Dicks. It was definitely way more that I could handle. The beaches that I fish are pretty much just boat ramps with a little sand plot. That being said its mostly just larger schoolies with the occasional big fish.

On 7/10/2020 at 8:13 PM, ace4570 said:

Yes, they are still a great place to start - light weight and cast well for the price. I fished the 9ft (1/2 to 3) for a few seasons. You can tape the two piece rod together with electrical tape (learned that from someone on here). 

Edited by MAGA

What I just realized and it would make a fine rod for what you’re doing, the Tsunami Airwave Elite 9’6” is discounted to $154 on the saltwater edge. For $30 more than the tica, maybe that’s the move if you like a rod that size.