South African kayaks in the USA

9 hours ago, Santiago II said:

I'd be curious how many people who fish have ever ridden swells in their kayak

Present....My Stealth Fisha 500. The new Stealth Fusion has black fiberglass inserts now as well and there are some weights floating around on you tube etc. I would probably wait for the production run to take anything to the bank.

Its weird Stealth being included in the Swell infomercial...didn't see that they have a new "dealer". Personally I will keep dealing with the factory direct.

5 hours ago, Chiefy said:

Present....My Stealth Fisha 500. The new Stealth Fusion has black fiberglass inserts now as well and there are some weights floating around on you tube etc. I would probably wait for the production run to take anything to the bank.

Its weird Stealth being included in the Swell infomercial...didn't see that they have a new "dealer". Personally I will keep dealing with the factory direct.

I've dealt with Kaskazi directly, and tried with Stealth but by then shipping became prohibitive. I've been using surfskis too, can't go faster than that, and you can find them used in good condition. I've found good used Stealth kayaks but they were always older models that have since been replaced.

Laus Deo

7 hours ago, Chiefy said:

After hearing so many nightmare stories of getting single kayaks shipped from SA only to get them in damaged, it seems like a good option to have a domestic dealer.

19 mins ago, gellfex said:

After hearing so many nightmare stories of getting single kayaks shipped from SA only to get them in damaged, it seems like a good option to have a domestic dealer.

My boat came across with a container full from Africa. A single shipment wasn't happening. I had to wait if I wanted to pick my color/configuration which I did. Getting my boat up to Maine from the container landing port, now that was a different story. My boat was damaged in that part of shipment(uship it)(not stealths fault but they took care of me), so if they can sort that part of it then great. Maybe the plastic boats will mean more stock/shipments to the US. If so that is a good thing. 

Though I do love my Hobie, my 19’ x 22” touring kayak is an absolute joy for paddling long distances on open water and it’s fiberglass layup is absolutely bombproof.  That Stealth Pro Fisha 575 has definitely piqued my interest.  Let’s hope it makes it stateside in some numbers.

Edited by Water Dog

Hobie Power Skiff Fisherman

Hobie Revolution 13

2 hours ago, Water Dog said:

Though I do love my Hobie, my 19’ x 22” touring kayak is an absolute joy for paddling long distances on open water and it’s fiberglass layup is absolutely bombproof.  That Stealth Pro Fisha 575 has definitely piqued my interest.  Let’s hope it makes it stateside in some numbers.

Seems unlikely to see numbers, after all the far more mainstream and less expensive but excellent Viking boats are still pretty rare. American salt kayak fishermen will continue getting flipped in shore breaks or swells in their lawn chair pedal boats, and say "I'll never paddle so there's nothing to be done".

36 mins ago, gellfex said:

Seems unlikely to see numbers, after all the far more mainstream and less expensive but excellent Viking boats are still pretty rare. American salt kayak fishermen will continue getting flipped in shore breaks or swells in their lawn chair pedal boats, and say "I'll never paddle so there's nothing to be done".

7 hours ago, gellfex said:

I have never seen the Viking kayaks. Anybody here paddled one?

We have a dealer for kaskazi in florida. I think it's great we will have a dealer in the west coast for stealth, and other brands. 

This new plastic process now available for the swell scupper 14 looks good to me. 

13 hours ago, Water Dog said:

If you can do a 22" touring kayak then the 575 would probably be easy for you. Different than than Kaskazi Dorado which has a very low COG an a lot of cockpit around you. The 575 is more like a wide surfski 

Laus Deo

11 hours ago, gellfex said:

I see plenty of value to the Hobie approach to creating of fishing platform on the water, but if you like paddling, especially in swells and surf, and you like speed, Stealth is a totally different experience.

Laus Deo

6 hours ago, YaknIndy said:

I have never seen the Viking kayaks. Anybody here paddled one?

We have a dealer for kaskazi in florida. I think it's great we will have a dealer in the west coast for stealth, and other brands. 

This new plastic process now available for the swell scupper 14 looks good to me. 

There are a few members that paddle Vikings, me being one of them. Ted at Native Water Sports in Jensen Beach had a demo Viking Profish Reload last November when I was there. If he still has it Im sure he would let you demo it.  

Gorgeous hull and layout! It reminds me of the wife’s E-class. Sleek and a blast to drive, but way too many bells and whistles for an old fart like me :help:

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

1 hour ago, Santiago II said:

His channel is pretty entertaining. Some of the surf launch and landings are just silly. You don't need pedals to fish if your not a donkey and in a proper boat. Stealth boats need a rod holder up front somewhere though, haven't seen anyone come up with an acceptable solution.