YaknIndy

South African kayaks in the USA

71 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

FYI,

Hello guys and gals. There is a new American source for South African kayaks in the USA. Jim at Swell Watercraft who produces the Scupper 14 is now importing Stealth, and other makes too. *

Just for the PC Police a disclaimer, lol. I am not associated with Swell. I just own a Scupper 14, and like South African kayaks too.

Edited by TimS
No PC police, but we don’t promote commercial websites here.

You will never guess where the new swell scupper pro is being manufactured.? South Africa.  Great news about the other kayaks coming to the U.S.

Well, that is not so nice.

Have a nice day "flip n Dip"... Peddle on.

Also Stealth is beginning production of a lower cost rotomold kayak soon to be available!

I am entitled to my opinion also.

I like paddle kayaks that are fast and stable. I previously owned a ocean kayak trident. It was not fast or very stable, so searched and eventually purchased a kaskazi Dorado. Now have a Scupper 14 which was USA made. 

17 mins ago, YaknIndy said:

I am entitled to my opinion also.

I like paddle kayaks that are fast and stable. I previously owned a ocean kayak trident. It was not fast or very stable, so searched and eventually purchased a kaskazi Dorado. Now have a Scupper 14 which was USA made. 

For me the choice is very simple. Pedal or nothing. Once you fish from a pedal kayak you will never want to go back to paddling. I have zero interest in any kayak that does not have pedals. Most people on this forum I’m sure would agree since fishing is our primary reason for owning one.

2 hours ago, Flip n Dip said:

For me the choice is very simple. Pedal or nothing. Once you fish from a pedal kayak you will never want to go back to paddling. I have zero interest in any kayak that does not have pedals. Most people on this forum I’m sure would agree since fishing is our primary reason for owning one.

pedal or sink for me :laugh::laugh:

post-45020-0-60149200-1468075948.jpg

The SA and NZ kayaks are very different than the US market of kayaks. The US are tanks are not designed for offshore use like those made in the other two countries, Those are made to track, paddle fast and stability. Plus, add the lack of overall weight, not 100+ lbs. 

No need to peddle if the kayak can track well without use of a rudder to overcome the negatives the kayaks come to market with. Take your hand off that rudder control and it’s squirrelly that quick.  It is amazing how far a good kayak design will travel once you’ve stopped paddling it. Ever try that with today’s tanks, They just about stop forward movement. I can stop paddling, change a lure and still have forward movement when I’m done. 

Interesting news from Swell, but  I’m way too rough for anything but a plastic kayak. My old Scupper yak is my go to as I enjoy paddling these days more than the pedals, and I’m a serious cyclist! The comfort, lightweight, and efficiency of that design is about perfect for me. If it rough or windy I take the Revo, cause you can’t hold a rod and paddle at the same time. Once Swell gets their design on a diet that approaches the originals they should do quite well.

Hi Cheech, these are all plastic kayaks, Except Carbonology which is super light, Vagabond, Stealth and Swell. Word is Stealth is bringing a roto molded plastic kayak to market soon also, along with there glass. I myself am most interested to see what this Stealth tips the scales at.

Edited by YaknIndy

Good to see options coming to the US market.

17 hours ago, Flip n Dip said:

I own 2 pedal kayaks and still use my paddle driven Viking Profish. If I had to rely on only the pedal kayays I wouldnt be going out and fishing most days because they are to difficult and dangerous to surf launch here. Each kayak design has its own niche and some excel in conditions where others dont. This is what I tell my wife when she ask, why I need so many kayaks. Works for me. 

1 hour ago, YaknIndy said:

Hi Cheech, these are all plastic kayaks, Carbonology, Vagabond, Stealth and Swell. Word is Stealth is bringing a roto mold plastic kayak to market soon also along with there glass.

But even the newest Swell is still a robust 65#. They need to get closer to the 55# or so of the Scupper Pro or C-14.

22 hours ago, Flip n Dip said:

You sound like someone jumping into a discussion of stick shift sports cars with "I wouldn't buy anything but a pickup truck with an automatic!" You utterly miss the point.

Edited by gellfex