Goldy

Best wire to Tie Flags

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I'm curious what you experts use to tie flags.  I have some siwash hooks, but I don't want to tie and cut.  I would rather get wire that is easy to work with and easy to bend.  

Thanks in advance

Don't know about everyone else, but when I'm wiring plugs there are always short lengths of thru wire that gets cutoff after the tail wrap is done, I use them, make a loop on one end, leave it a little long so it will go into my tying vise and stick out far enough, and wrap it. Cut the excess wire when I'm done. That wire is 1/16" Stainless wire, but I also have some .045" stainless welding wire that I use on smaller plugs, that works fine too.

3 hours ago, Ed White said:

Don't know about everyone else, but when I'm wiring plugs there are always short lengths of thru wire that gets cutoff after the tail wrap is done, I use them, make a loop on one end, leave it a little long so it will go into my tying vise and stick out far enough, and wrap it. Cut the excess wire when I'm done. That wire is 1/16" Stainless wire, but I also have some .045" stainless welding wire that I use on smaller plugs, that works fine too.

Ed thx. I dont build plugs so just the wire for me.  Thx i will google ur suggestions

3 hours ago, Ed White said:

I second this 

If you just want flags they don't have to be stainless. Brass hobby wire at any box or hardware store would be fine. I used the brass hobby wire for through wiring plugs back forty years ago and landed a 50# bass on one. 

Why am I having such a hard time finding some wire..  I went to lowes / home depot looking for the wire that was recommended

Can anyone donate some or I will pay if you snail mail it to me?

18 mins ago, Goldy said:

Why am I having such a hard time finding some wire..  I went to lowes / home depot looking for the wire that was recommended

Can anyone donate some or I will pay if you snail mail it to me?

Pretty sure i already offered you some. 

4 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Welding supply 

+1

I paid $14 for a pound of 3' long TIG wire:  SS 308L 1/16" (or 0.062"), which was approx 99'.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Good topic. I used to take down some of those from public pole place, to make leader for fishing pike.

Doesnt work so well, wants to curl up and stay that way.

Edited by glos