fishn333

I hate my new rod (update)

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

My last topic was about my new purchase of a st Croix avid 9’ 1-4oz , I felt I couldn’t load the rod properly, resulting in poor casts way to stiff and I couldn’t fish it all day ..

So this is what I did to solve my problem. I went and purchased a tsunami saltx 9.6’ rod what a dream to cast and fish all day long . I paired it with my saltx 6000 And couldn’t be happier! Anyone in the market I highly recommend . I love this rod so much that I really want the 8.6 version for my 4000 reel .

B5B5AB93-B3ED-4D58-AA11-9BF578E61AE3.jpeg

I’m not a St Croix fan at all I prefer loomis rods their newer inshore rods are sweet picked up a 7’6” looks just like my IMX pr844s nice soft tip for throwing unweighted plastics and it was a brand new demo $125.00! 

I built a rodgeeks 11' 1-5oz.  It has a very soft tip.  I believe 23andme said rodgeeks and st Croix are related.  I fall in like with all my st Croix rods.  

8 hours ago, fishn333 said:

My last topic was about my new purchase of a st Croix avid 9’ 1-4oz , I felt I couldn’t load the rod properly, resulting in poor casts way to stiff and I couldn’t fish it all day ..

So this is what I did to solve my problem. I went and purchased a tsunami saltx 9.6’ rod what a dream to cast and fish all day long . I paired it with my saltx 6000 And couldn’t be happier! Anyone in the market I highly recommend . I love this rod so much that I really want the 8.6 version for my 4000 reel .

B5B5AB93-B3ED-4D58-AA11-9BF578E61AE3.jpeg

Bought a 9 foot 1_3oz first Gen tiralejo... Broomstick... Fished it for an hour... Sold it next day 

St Croix notoriously under rates their rods, especially for lure weight.  If any St Croix says 4oz absolutely forget it for all day casting unless you are heaving huge lures or bait.  A St Croix 4oz rod can probably throw a pound without blinking.  

A dude from St Croix confirmed this to me years ago during a big sale at a local store.  He hemmed and hawed but finally just said yes, they under rate their rods essentially to reduce breakage. 

I am so glad to hear this as I just pulled the trigger on the same 9’6” saltx rod after thinking about this versus the st. Croix avid! Now I’m trying to figure out what reel to use with it for Maryland delaware coasts and some because in the Chesapeake for some quick morning fishing. I feel like a van staal is way overkill but man they look so nice, thinking a gosa or the saltx reel maybe

15 hours ago, Jimbotacoma said:

I am so glad to hear this as I just pulled the trigger on the same 9’6” saltx rod after thinking about this versus the st. Croix avid! Now I’m trying to figure out what reel to use with it for Maryland delaware coasts and some because in the Chesapeake for some quick morning fishing. I feel like a van staal is way overkill but man they look so nice, thinking a gosa or the saltx reel maybe

I have my 9.6’ paired with a saltx 6000. I might try the 4000 and see how that feels