Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ba Ba Buoy

Venmo???

8 posts in this topic

So a few years back, TimS in his infinite wisdom abolished paypal friends and family payments for all SOL BST transactions. Don't ask for it, don't pm the suggestion, don't do it at all unless you want to break the rules and forfeit all and any protection. Admittedly at first, I was a little irked as I perceived it as an additional cost to sellers.

Truth is, it was a wise move to protect buyers and keep the rif raf to a minimum. Enter VENMO... As far as I can tell, Venmo is the same premise as Paypal FF, in that it is supposed to be a transfer of funds among friends, family, or those you fully trust.

I don't believe you have any recourse should you get stiffed or have any issues at all post sale with a Venmo payment. I see more and more sellers requesting Venmo on the BST these days. Should Venmo be abolished on the BST like PPal FF? Is there a reason it should be exempt? 

On 7/10/2020 at 9:52 PM, gray gables said:

I don’t use it myself. If someone wants then it’s a deal breaker for me. 

Probably the smartest move, I'd rather pay the fees of paypal than leave myself exposed. I saw a guy that payed for a VS with Venmo, the VS never showed and Venmo said too bad, tough luck. No fees means no protections. SOL can't get money from a deadbeat only the paypal protection program will refund a claim after investigating. I'd rather have my money back versus having a scammer removed from the BST should a Venmo transaction go south.

I use Venmo or paypal when selling.....when buying I'll use venmo if I know the person and they want it...paypal other times.....Really, people make a big deal about pp fees.....and on a $30 plug sometimes.....its like an extra buck...1/2 of sales tax....don't understand why people bitch about the fee.

On 7/16/2020 at 6:11 PM, The Gremlin said:

I use Venmo or paypal when selling.....when buying I'll use venmo if I know the person and they want it...paypal other times.....Really, people make a big deal about pp fees.....and on a $30 plug sometimes.....its like an extra buck...1/2 of sales tax....don't understand why people bitch about the fee.

When your buying a $600 reel I can see the fees hurting a bit. On 1 plug, your right, the fee is minimal really. The fee is worth it for me, just for the peace of mind. No way I'm risking my good money if there is a way to avoid it.

On 7/19/2020 at 3:11 AM, DerrickT said:

I use both plus Cash App and Zelle

As far as I know pp is the only one that offers protection 

The others I would gladly use for friends and family, just don't wanna risk it over some guy on the internet. Sometimes its not even the "guy's" fault. If the PO loses it, that's on the seller, unless you paid with Venmo, Cash Appe, or Zelle. Then the guy can just say "I sent it, go pound sand". Can't get proof they sent it, can't get a refund, ...nuthin!!! It would be nice if they all had a paid protection option for sold goods.

I missed this when it was started, but was recently just made aware that Venmo offers the buyers ZERO recourse - they don't get involved, your money is gone. I'm not sure how I feel about this...PayPal offers you a choice...Venmo does not. So either Venmo is completely banned as a payment type...or people that use it have already accepted that they have no recourse.  This definitely deserves to be discussed and I'm sorry I missed this thread...I'm gonna start a new one with a poll and let folks in here decide what they think.

Personally, I don't like any payment type where there is no recourse for buyers...but mine is only one vote :)

TimS