RKG1

Knot Tightening Tool

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I am looking for a tool of some type to assist me in tightening up knots like FG and PR knots.  Something that I can use to grab the lines and hold them without slipping and without digging into my skin while tightening down the knots.  I have tried gloves but that just does not work for me.  Before I start trying to build something I am wondering if there already are some concepts out there that others are using successfully.  I am thinking like two thick wood dowels with some type of covering that will grip the line and hold it.  But what covering? Other ideas?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use a piece of cut off rod blank from when I shortened an old Harnell surf rod.

It still has the cork tape on it which is durable and allows braided line to “bite” in not slip.

Works great.

Edited by valentine

I make these for myself and friends with extra end pieces of wood i have laying around.   Wrap the braid around the grooves and you can really pull on the braid and not cut into your fingers.  Also helps to pull a snag on rock as well.  

8F25248C-17A3-4518-8AE5-5A2823C6A1D6.jpeg

2 hours ago, RKG1 said:

I have not been lubricating my fg and pr knots.  Don't think i have ever seen that step in the videos i have seen.   Saliva ok? 

Saliva is the best.  I've tried saliva, water, vegetable oil, mineral oil and Chapstick (glycerin).  Saliva is the best.

I made these out of 6” section of old garden hose . Stuffed them with some pex tubing as the wooden dowels I had were not an exact fit. Took me less than 5mins to make and work a charm on the fg knot , much better than using gloves like I used to. 

E35C54E8-6760-4BD6-9921-0B7ECF017AFA.jpeg

7 hours ago, riggler said:

I bought one of these a couple of years ago. It gives my sausage fingers a fighting chance of tying the fg with success

That thing works great for light lines but found it doesn't spread wide enough for heavy stuff. 

11 hours ago, RKG1 said:

I am looking for a tool of some type to assist me in tightening up knots like FG and PR knots.  Something that I can use to grab the lines and hold them without slipping and without digging into my skin while tightening down the knots.  I have tried gloves but that just does not work for me.  Before I start trying to build something I am wondering if there already are some concepts out there that others are using successfully.  I am thinking like two thick wood dowels with some type of covering that will grip the line and hold it.  But what covering? Other ideas?

They make rings with o rings specifically for that task.. Popular for a long time in Japan.. Cheap versions can be found all over the web now 

I made these out of 1 1/4" (I think) dowels and some cold shrink rubber tubing. They are fantastic for cinching down fg knots. Wrap each line around a few times and pull tight. No more cut hands or fingers and a properly tightened knot.

0710202242.jpg

I use a few sections of an old drum stick with 2 layers of shrink wrap.

I can pull hard enough that I can compromise the exterior coating on premier Seargar flouro.

The dowel is just the right size to bring along for snags in a surf bag.