jjdbike

Korkers boots & soles: reviews-opinions please?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

My current L.L. Bean wadding boots are about shot. I loved how light weight they were. They were supportive bit too stiff. I like the combo of felt and spikes for streams. Def need spikes for jetties. The jetties I fish do not have thick weed that must be cut through. Just a thin layer of snot on very slanted and uneven rocks w/ some barnacles that when wet to make them icy slick. 

My fave pair of jetty boots were a light weight wadding boot onto which I glued thick felt soles and screwed in carbide spikes. This was perfect for jetties whether wet or dry and also great for fast moving streams and rivers w/ slippery rocks.

If I had the time and energy, I do that again. I don't. In a perfect world I'd want an off the shelf pair of relatively light weight, supportive fast drying wadding boots w/ a felt sole with carbide spikes. Now, since nothing is perfect, I'm willing to compromise.

I'm looking at the Korkers boots w/ interchangeable soles. I'm looking specifically at the Terror Ridge because I'm guessing they are lace up. While I have no experience, knowledge or even 1st hand reports, I don't guess the Boa lace system would hold up well in a salty / sandy environment... Can anyone here confirm or refute this assumption? Also, I heard early on that the interchangeable soles of these Korkers boot did not reliably stay attached under load and torque of navigating slippery slanted uneven rocks. Is this still the case... i.e. can I trust that the soles will stay connected while in use? I'll get the studded felt soles for streams and rivers. For my jetty situation, i.e. slanted uneven rocks w/ thin slime and barnacles, would you recommend the Triple Thread Carbide Spike sole?

Any other input or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

JD

Jj. Lots of threads on boa.  Most say stay away from boa for sand. Even korkers if you call them will say that.  

korkers buckskin are fine.  I destroyed mine in a year but i put a lot of hours on them. Check out the thread where we discuss korkers vs simms

Iv had the korkers devils canyon with the boa for I think 6 years. The boa still works fine and gets a thorough rinse after each use. My waders have a gravel guard thing I pull over it to keep sand out. But most of the time I don’t use them on sandy beaches. I got them because they were one of the lightest and most low profile boots they had, not because of the boa. I would prefer laces. Get a boot with laces. I have never had a problem with the soles on slippery rocks. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a pair of "double haul" Korkers that are at least 5 years old. It has a pull cord/barrell lock tension system instead of laces (similar to tension system on rain coat hoods).  Occasionally they loosen up, but a quick tug on the cord, and that is solved. The boots offer great support and stability when rock hopping. They feel like a comfortable pair of hiking boots. Much better than strapping on a klunky pair of korker outsoles. I have the older carbide studs and they grip pretty well. The boots do take a while to dry out, but maybe the newer materials are better. I do not use these on the beach, because they WILL fill up with sand. Also stay away from the BOA system. After one use in the sand, I had to cut the cable so I could get my foot back out and in again. 

Edited by steveo905

2 hours ago, Goldy said:

Jj. Lots of threads on boa.  Most say stay away from boa for sand. Even korkers if you call them will say that.  

korkers buckskin are fine.  I destroyed mine in a year but i put a lot of hours on them. Check out the thread where we discuss korkers vs simms

1 hour ago, fishtheeast said:

Iv had the korkers devils canyon with the boa for I think 6 years. The boa still works fine and gets a thorough rinse after each use. My waders have a gravel guard thing I pull over it to keep sand out. But most of the time I don’t use them on sandy beaches. I got them because they were one of the lightest and most low profile boots they had, not because of the boa. I would prefer laces. Get a boot with laces. I have never had a problem with the soles on slippery rocks. 

1 hour ago, steveo905 said:

I have a pair of "double haul" Korkers that are at least 5 years old. It has a pull cord/barrell lock tension system instead of laces (similar to tension system on rain coat hoods).  Occasionally they loosen up, but a quick tug on the cord, and that is solved. The boots offer great support and stability when rock hopping. They feel like a comfortable pair of hiking boots. Much better than strapping on a klunky pair of korker outsoles. I have the older carbide studs and they grip pretty well. The boots do take a while to dry out, but maybe the newer materials are better. I do not use these on the beach, because they WILL fill up with sand. Also stay away from the BOA system. After one use in the sand, I had to cut the cable so I could get my foot back out and in again. 

Thanks everyone for your input!

So no concerns about souls coming off while in use?

I will also search up the Simms vs Korkers thread. 
Thanks again!

JD

Posted (edited) · Report post

I picked a pair of used buckskins from here, they are a nice boot. My soles stay on one really has to pull on them to get them off. I pull them off occasionally to get the sand out which gets stuck in the slots.  I’m probably the only person to break the knob off the heel of one of the boots lol. I just epoxied it back on and zip tie the rear strap on them now. 

Edited by Mark L

Buy boots that have a thick sole and get rock grabbrz spikes to install. Boa sucks I've had them fail quite quickly on bean boots. Korkers are great but IMO not as good as installing a lot of spikes yourself. The ability to take the sole off and walk without spikes via Korkers is 10x more comfortable than with spikes. There's give and take with everything, this subject included. I currently have korkers, but after these fail I'll probably go back to rock grabbrz.

25 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks everyone for your input!

So no concerns about souls coming off while in use?

I will also search up the Simms vs Korkers thread. 
Thanks again!

JD

Jd.  i didnt see that part. I have 100% had issues with soles getting sucked right off. Only happens in heavy wet sand or muddy areas in back of raritan.  Korkers customer service is really good.  One thing ive done that somewhat helps is a gutter screw in bottom when u know im going to those areas. 

but i have since bought simms g4s to try out

14 mins ago, Goldy said:

Jd.  i didnt see that part. I have 100% had issues with soles getting sucked right off. Only happens in heavy wet sand or muddy areas in back of raritan.  Korkers customer service is really good.  One thing ive done that somewhat helps is a gutter screw in bottom when u know im going to those areas. 

Can confirm!

Both of the rear tabs broke off on my studded soles.  I love the korkers customer service and that helps out a lot.  I may have to secure those soles on permantly and use my other boots for the river and sand.

On another note, the Korkers are really clunky.  I really like my simms freestones.

3 hours ago, Goldy said:

1 hour ago, Reed422 said:

Buy boots that have a thick sole and get rock grabbrz spikes to install. Boa sucks I've had them fail quite quickly on bean boots. Korkers are great but IMO not as good as installing a lot of spikes yourself. The ability to take the sole off and walk without spikes via Korkers is 10x more comfortable than with spikes. There's give and take with everything, this subject included. I currently have korkers, but after these fail I'll probably go back to rock grabbrz.

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

46 mins ago, Reed422 said:

Can confirm!

15 mins ago, sinfish said:

Both of the rear tabs broke off on my studded soles.  I love the korkers customer service and that helps out a lot.  I may have to secure those soles on permantly and use my other boots for the river and sand.

On another note, the Korkers are really clunky.  I really like my simms freestones.

Ok thanks for the very helpful feedback!

Studded soled coming off at the wrong time could be potentially life threatening. I lost a Korkers sandel once on a quickly flooding tide that was kicking up. It was a miracle I made it back in alive. 
I’m leaning towards the Simms w felt soles & installing spikes. Best of both worlds. Supportive and more nimble that strap on-ons w/ out having to worry about sloes or sandels coming off. 
Thanks!

JD