Capt.Castafly

Stripers Gone Wild

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Thousands upon thousand of stripers. Fishing is great if you find them.

I call it pocket fishing. It's a term I coined years ago when I noticed striped bass stocks on the decline.

If your lucky enough to find a pocket of fish like this, you'll have a good day catching.

But look around the rest of the ocean and the vast horizon and it's bare of bait and other fish.

That's what most days are like fishing today, empty water.

If a dense, school like this gets wipe out, there goes an entire year class of stripers.

It's so easy for that to happen, especially if they get steered to the many fish trap in the area or some blind cove with no way out.

Stripers_Gone_Wild.wmv

7 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Thousands upon thousand of stripers. Fishing is great if you find them.

I call it pocket fishing. It's a term I coined years ago when I noticed striped bass stocks on the decline.

If your lucky enough to find a pocket of fish like this, you'll have a good day catching.

But look around the rest of the ocean and the vast horizon and it's bare of bait and other fish.

That's what most days are like fishing today, empty water.

If a dense, school like this gets wipe out, there goes an entire year class of stripers.

It's so easy for that to happen, especially if they get steered to the many fish trap in the area or some blind cove with no way out.

Stripers_Gone_Wild.wmv

I have not seen many slot size fish at all this year wading.  Its like they have disappeared.  I hope we get better conservation measures in place soon.  I fear the slot is not gonna get it done.

32 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

I have not seen many slot size fish at all this year wading.  Its like they have disappeared.  I hope we get better conservation measures in place soon.  I fear the slot is not gonna get it done.

These fish in the video are all four years old. It appears that 2016 was a good reproduction year, looking at what I saw. This is one slug of stripers so it might not have validity and accuracy with testing done in the spawning locations for that year.

If these fish make it two more years, (6years old) they will be within the slot limit sizes.

Nice video Ray.    Hope to experience one of those some day myself.    Probably have a better chance if I get off my duff and charter with you one of these days.   BTW, Dave P. must either be a co-captain on your boat or spend most of his monthly SS check with you as I see him in almost all of your photos and videos  :)   

HT

13 hours ago, HillTop said:

BTW, Dave P. must either be a co-captain on your boat or spend most of his monthly SS check with you as I see him in almost all of your photos and videos  :)   

HT

Dave is not flying or leaving the country on fishing trips any more right now. High risk!

So Dave has channeled his fishing locally where it's safe. He usually comes out about every two weeks.  

All his fishing trips have been great.