Wilgabeast

Heavy storm . Heavy Stripers ?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hoping with all the bait that’s around this storm tonight kicks on a good striper bite around the cape . Anyone else thinking this could be sort of like hurricane José a few years back ?

Posted (edited) · Report post

They're predicting thunderstorms. So probably not a good idea to go fishing the next couple of days. I had been planning on fishing another location but saw the weather advisory with gusts up to 50 MPH.

Re Hurricane Jose, wasn't that the remnants of the hurricane that washed up on our shores?
I kind of remember missing out on that one. 

Edited by TroutGhost

6 mins ago, TroutGhost said:

They're predicting thunderstorms. So probably not a good idea to go fishing the next couple of days. I had been planning on fishing another location but saw the weather advisory with gusts up to 50 MPH.

Re Hurricane Jose, wasn't that the remnants of the hurricane that washed up on our shores?
I kind of remember missing out on that one. 

Exactly . 2017 it came in and the bass around the cape put on the feed bag for 3 straight day . It was magical . I’m heading out tonight hoping for the same results

Just now, Gotcow? said:

Be smart and stay safe.

If there is lightning, seek shelter.

That’s the plan. I’ll never be to far from my truck . I really do feel that this storm has the potential to be very fishy if your in the rite spots and around the right bait . I’ll be running and gunning tonight 

This is not going to be bad.

Mild winds and heavy tropical downpours. 

Even on Wasque Point, an area of Massachusetts that will experience some of the "strongest" winds in the state, sustained winds at 2am are expected to be 20-25mph. Gusting to 30.

On the Cape it will be 15-20(s), gusting to 25.

> Not exactly Katrina.

Many afternoons on the Cape with a SW seabreeze generate equivalent wind.

Southeast flow.

Screenshot_20200710-085402_Windy.jpg.1916c9924cf80ae2781c74ad184bf27d.jpg

Long Island is much closer to the center of the low, and the winds there will probably be strong enough to spur a storm bite. 35(s)/45(g) at 2am, onshore. Screenshot_20200710-090919_Windy.jpg.330b795c1fe8249c833963063f596716.jpg

17 mins ago, rst3 said:

This is not going to be bad.

Mild winds and heavy tropical downpours. 

Even on Wasque Point, an area of Massachusetts that will experience some of the "strongest" winds in the state, sustained winds at 2am are expected to be 20-25mph. Gusting to 30.

On the Cape it will be 15-20(s), gusting to 25.

> Not exactly Katrina.

Many afternoons on the Cape with a SW seabreeze generate equivalent wind.

Southeast flow.

Screenshot_20200710-085402_Windy.jpg.1916c9924cf80ae2781c74ad184bf27d.jpg

Long Island is much closer to the center of the low, and the winds there will probably be strong enough to spur a storm bite. 35(s)/45(g) at 2am, onshore. Screenshot_20200710-090919_Windy.jpg.330b795c1fe8249c833963063f596716.jpg

I know it’s not going to be bad but with the crashing pressure heavy rains and strong winds it’s Got all the makings of a fishy night

23 mins ago, Wilgabeast said:

I know it’s not going to be bad but with the crashing pressure heavy rains and strong winds it’s Got all the makings of a fishy night

Oh I don't disagree some spots should light up tonight, but imo that's going to be due to onshore wind and wave action, not the pressure drop. (Which itself will be minimal with the storm only 1005mb deep)

Waves should be 5-9ft Long Island, 4-6ft RI, 3-6ft South Coast MA(west of blocking of Elizabeths), 2-3(inside BB and ACK sound). Most other onshore areas of MA 3-5.

Probably a conversation for another thread, but I'm not really on board with the belief that fish respond to drops or changes in atmospheric barometric pressure over the course of several hours.

I've had it explained to me like this:

34 feet of water is equivalent to the pressure of the entire atmosphere. The strongest hurricanes are appx 900mb, which means they "removed" 10% of the normal 1010mb atmosphere. To a fish, Katrina (920mb) passing directly overhead is equivalent to them swimming up 3 feet.

Do I think fish feed in response to certain weather? Yes. Do I think other types of weather puts fish down? Yep. But atm I don't buy in to the pressure change being what they're responding to. 

Anyways, hopefully the bass cooperate tonight and put on the feedbag, before it gets too weedy.

Oh man Jose was fun.  One of my best canal outings ever.  Really crushed some big fish that morning.  Not many guys fishing either.

29 mins ago, frezzy said:

Oh man Jose was fun.  One of my best canal outings ever.  Really crushed some big fish that morning.  Not many guys fishing either.

Oh yah I was there ! Was incredible