Fishinbehr

Back Bay Fluke Setup

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’m just getting into fluking and I’m looking for a decent used setup locally. I mostly fish 1/2-1 oz bucktails off a kayak back bay usually in less than 25’. mmt.gif?s=8ba6deee-69c0-0fe6-e054-03b151922a43&a=s.r&u=792bc59e-ed6a-4e21-be35-3aa2bd8c622bmmt.gif?s=8ba6deee-69c0-0fe6-e054-03b151922a43&a=s.r&u=bc8e0a97-0c95-4ffb-a906-cb9841fb2406I’ve found a Saltist 2500 for $120 and a Lamiglass Black Salt BS725S for $125. What do you guys think about this setup? Is the reel too light for the rod?

Edited by Fishinbehr

I like light outfits for flounder. More enjoyable that way . I fish with 6 ft. rods, mostly no name brands with a penn 4500 and do fine. Have caught flounder to 6 lbs. no problem.

I kayak fished for fluke for 5 years with old freshwater bass gear and a cheap bait caster set up. Rinsed with fresh water after each trip. The cheap bait caster is grindy now but the rest are fine. 

These days I don’t buy gear unless I know how it will improve my performance. 

There are YouTube vids by one of the kayak members here (a chef who fished from an inflatable Hobie) which show how jigging style impacts lure action (filmed in a pool). I think he has some solid suggestions as to rod types. 

2 hours ago, patfont said:

I use a Lamiglas Black B7320S 7’3”

and a BG3000.

Weighs about one 1lb.

Perfect set up about $200.

It looks like the B7320S is 

Medium Heavy Power

12-20 lb. test line

3/8 - 1 oz lure weight

Fast Action

$125

While the BS725S is 

Medium Heavy

10-20lb
7'2" length
3/8-1oz 
Fast Action

Originally $295

On paper they look very similar, aside from the price. With everything going on right now it’s hard to get my hands on it hand these rods. Do you know what the differences are?

On 7/10/2020 at 0:20 AM, Fishinbehr said:

I’m just getting into fluking and I’m looking for a decent used setup locally. I mostly fish 1/2-1 oz bucktails off a kayak back bay usually in less than 25’. mmt.gif?s=8ba6deee-69c0-0fe6-e054-03b151922a43&a=s.r&u=792bc59e-ed6a-4e21-be35-3aa2bd8c622bmmt.gif?s=8ba6deee-69c0-0fe6-e054-03b151922a43&a=s.r&u=bc8e0a97-0c95-4ffb-a906-cb9841fb2406I’ve found a Saltist 2500 for $120 and a Lamiglass Black Salt BS725S for $125. What do you guys think about this setup? Is the reel too light for the rod?

That reel is probably a little too light for that rod and your application, I would look into a daiwa BG 3k or 4k. Or for a slightly nicer reel the daiwa saltist back bay 4k. I think a BG 4k would be perfect (relatively cheap, but will last a lifetime).

Kayak or boat light fluking... I suggest you look into what John Skinner uses. Lot cheaper than a setup your talking about.

I just recently put the latest model Quantum Accurist S3 which Skinner uses on a 7" MH Ugly Stick. It's light as hell, I've been slaying fluke with it. Personally I prefer bait caster, or conventional vs spinning when fluking, bottom fishing. The fact that the reel has the switch where I can single handedly stay on bottom during my drift without engaging the handle is pretty nice feature too.

The flipping switch is an overrated gimmick on a generally crappy reel. I have used two of them for a couple years. 

Seriously, how hard is it to flip the bail and let out a little line or push up the thumb bar on a bait caster. 

19 hours ago, hookmeup said:

The flipping switch is an overrated gimmick on a generally crappy reel. I have used two of them for a couple years. 

Seriously, how hard is it to flip the bail and let out a little line or push up the thumb bar on a bait caster. 

The JS factor is the only reason Quantum would refresh that dumb reel. Should call it a "fluking" switch and trademark it.