fixxer12

Summer fishing is tough!

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi!

As I said in my first few posts, this is really my first year fishing. So....this is my first summer to fish through.

I fished from 1pm-4pm today in a local creek in lows 90s, sunny weather. Is this basically a bad idea all the time? If so, I'm assuming the recommendation to fish would be before 10am or after 5pm?

I used Zman fluke, Zman shadz, beetle spin, bisty minnow, Zman craw and trout magnet today. Only caught one longnose gar (that's a first...so that was an interesting unhooking adventure...) and a few bites after that. No more fish.

Edited by fixxer12

10 hours ago, fixxer12 said:

If so, I'm assuming the recommendation to fish would be before 10am or after 5pm?

More like before 5am and after 10pm if temps are in the 90s. If there’s lots of morning/afternoon shade, before 7am and after 7pm. Not too many stream critters enjoy bright sunshine and 90 degree temps. 

4 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Middle of the day is dead time.

I like dusk until i feel like leaving

If i go in the morning i am off the water once the sun comes up

I have done well even mid day in 90*+ weather.

Just have to find the fish and pitch them a presentation that they can't resist.

Years ago I got to the point where I believed  that the only good bass fishing was after dark. Then my brother from Florida came  to visit me. I took him to a lake in central Conn and around noon he lands a 7 pounder. 
    I still like to be on the lake early but the bass can be caught any time of the day. When the jet skis and ski boats come alive, I pedal my kayak back to the launch. 

I always fish predawn just because I want to be on the water and can’t sleep if I’m going fishing. All my PB LMB and SMB have all been caught mid day. If it slows down in that time period I find shadows and cover and fish there. 
The fish don’t leave once the sun comes up. Find their hiding spots and you’ll catch fish.

Once the idiots are on the water, time for me to go. Canoeists  and kayakers and SUP users should all be required to take the same safe boating course boaters are.

Im not talking about fishing folks. I’m talking about the people that saw an ad for kayaks and want to try it. So far this year I have had my lines run over by kayakers more times than in all years past.

I find that to be the reason Fishing during mid day slows down. Water sport activity.

Another great time for mid day fishing... cloudy days or rainy days. Fishing is just as good as pre dawn. 
Topwater at noon makes it all worth it.

Windy? Buzz bait or whopper plopper!

2 hours ago, The TideRunner said:

I always fish predawn just because I want to be on the water and can’t sleep if I’m going fishing

Lol. I am 73, retired, fish 2-4 times each week and I am the same way. 

23 mins ago, KidDkivahh said:

66 here if I'm not jacked up to head out hit the BST there's gonna be a ton of stuff cheap.

I am glad that I am not alone with the enthusiasm. I really feel bad for people that do not have something in their lives that keep the juices flowing. 
My truck, that I use to tow my Hobie kayak, is in the shop having work done on it. It is killing to lose time out on the water. Lol.