PSegnatelli

How much gear do you carry?

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm tryin to lighten my load. Mainly because carrying heavy stuff wears me down.  

I have a hard time not bringing a crapton of lures!  

I've even tried just bringing my favorites, but then my anxiety ridden brain talks me into bringing backups and backup backups!  

How do u guys gear up for it?

Whats your methods to cover everything. With no major gaps. 

One of my biggest issues is I don't get to go as much as I want. So I'm like Starvin Marvin at the China Buffett. I want it all!

Edited by PSegnatelli

i carry a plano 3700 with everything i could need in my backpack, theres bucktails, grubs, bunch of kastmaster, couple magdarters, and yozuri longcast, a roll of leader, small filet knife, medical scisors, a small frontal headlight, a small folding split ring plier, some lead and hooks. all this fits in the plano box, the backpack is only so i can bring extra clothing, something to drink, a pair of gloves, and also bring back some fish.

K.I.S.S.  keep it stupid simple. and keep it under 5 pounds. if it dosnt fit in the plano, it stays home, ill do with something else.

I’m pretty minimal as a fly fisher. I keep a soft water bottle tucked above my wading belt. A spool or two of leader, flies in ziplocks, a pair of nippers and forceps, and maybe a small snack or two depending on the day. All of this goes into a 1l waist pack that I sling across my shoulder. 

I know flies are usually more compressible, but I bet in each outing you could narrow it down to 12 lures or so. 

11 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I'm tryin to lighten my load. Mainly because carrying heavy stuff wears me down.  

I have a hard time not bringing a crapton of lures!  

I've even tried just bringing my favorites, but then my anxiety ridden brain talks me into bringing backups and backup backups!  

How do u guys gear up for it?

Whats your methods to cover everything. With no major gaps. 

One of my biggest issues is I don't get to go as much as I want. So I'm like Starvin Marvin at the China Buffett. I want it all!

Don’t cut back.  If you have a few bucks, check out * 

Edited by TimS
Please don’t post commercial sites here

plugging for hours at night tend to hurt your shoulder the longer you fish specially without a single bite. I usually carry sp's, darter, top water and some buck tails along 11 ft. rod 1/2 to 3 oz

i carry too much stuff but it never seems like enough..lol..its all the lead that does me in i carry no less than 10  4-6 oz jigs plus all the other poppers and plugs i never throw...just feels like the one day i lighten the load im gonna need what i left behind

At 68 years young, I try to keep my load to a minimum. Usually fish (plug) for 3-4 hours & always on the move it’s the only way to go. Only carry 3 topwater plugs, 4 epoxy jigs, 2 sp’s, 4 pre tied leaders, small plier & scissor. A water bottle and some snacks. Currently using a light 9 ft ODM Rod and a Stradic 4000  fl with 20 lb. braid. Good luck to all and stay safe!

Fish close to the truck...

Will over pack bags if I think I'll have to do a difficult wade to get back and forth or if I'm planning on being on a jetty tip for a couple hours. Always bring a water bottle or sports drink. 

Sometimes I just grab a couple bucktails or tins in a very small pouch and travel real light. I never forget pliers, extra leaders, water and teaser flies. 

I try to go as light as possible and I interchange from the bag going on a belt or on a strap. I always have my Boga and pliers on me at all times and occasionally a light. I always try to have one of everything in my bag such as swimbaits, metal, topwater, etc. I myself can handle some heavy loads but not too crazy, I would say I'm ready for most if not all situations to happen on the surf 

3 plugs, 3 bucktails/jig heads, 3 tins, pouch of soft plastics, spare leader spool, pliers, lip grip, measuring tape. Snag hook and a few circle hooks if there's big bait around.

Also I keep TA clips on my car keys so technically I always carry those :howdy:

661440F1-980C-4AC9-B060-98CA40B7CAB2.jpeg

43 mins ago, Sir Defyable said:

3 plugs, 3 bucktails/jig heads, 3 tins, pouch of soft plastics, spare leader spool, pliers, lip grip, measuring tape. Snag hook and a few circle hooks if there's big bait around.

Also I keep TA clips on my car keys so technically I always carry those :howdy:

661440F1-980C-4AC9-B060-98CA40B7CAB2.jpeg

I like that idea. I have a 3 tube plug bag I can convert to 4 with the water bottle holder if I want. I keep a leader wallet on it.  I rarely switch out leaders unless I'm running rocks or run into a school of toothy critters which I try to avoid.  Usually the damage is near the clip so I can cut and replace.  :howdy:

Either not enough, or too d@mn much. Cannot seem to find the Goldilocks “just right” except on rare occasions 

Edited by Otony

Glad I'm not alone!!

I don't really fish alot of plugs.  Mainly jigs w/ Gulp & metal. 

But I also use bait alot so I carry my lead box & hook box. Plus tools. 

It's all in a soft sided tackle w/ shoulder strap. Gotta be over 10lbs. Plus water, always have atleast a half gallon with me, sandspike, floating livewell (meat fisherman ) but thats basically a pool noodle and a mesh laundry bag, more bulky than anything. 

And then! If I'm planning a long walk to a jetty or inlet I bring my 5gal bucket w/lid, mainly for a chair.  Sometimes I get dizzy and have to sit.  But god forbid I have an empty bucket! Gotta fill that up !  Salted squid and clams, bunker oil, gulp juice, cribbage board. U name it!  

Give you a perfect example of how my thoughts pan out. 

One day I'm fishing a jetty with my nephew. We see a squid swim by. Try to catch it. Can't. I buy a squid jig. Never seen another squid swim by me since. But I still refuse to not bring the jig! It can be a 100degree midday trip. I will bring that jig, even thou I am 95% sure I will not see a squid!  But that 5%, it eats at me!!

I need an intervention. 

Edited by PSegnatelli
I spell like an over caffinated chimp

7 hours ago, jerome gagnon said:

i carry a plano 3700 with everything i could need in my backpack, theres bucktails, grubs, bunch of kastmaster, couple magdarters, and yozuri longcast, a roll of leader, small filet knife, medical scisors, a small frontal headlight, a small folding split ring plier, some lead and hooks. all this fits in the plano box, the backpack is only so i can bring extra clothing, something to drink, a pair of gloves, and also bring back some fish.

K.I.S.S.  keep it stupid simple. and keep it under 5 pounds. if it dosnt fit in the plano, it stays home, ill do with something else.

I'm envious man. 

I started with one Plano. Turned into 3.  Then I thought "get smaller boxes. They'll weigh less!"  Now I have 6 boxes in my bag....

Foldin split ring plier is intriguing. I'm gonna have to look into that!