PSegnatelli

How much gear do you carry?

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm tryin to lighten my load. Mainly because carrying heavy stuff wears me down.  

 

I have a hard time not bringing a crapton of lures!  

 

I've even tried just bringing my favorites, but then my anxiety ridden brain talks me into bringing backups and backup backups!  

 

How do u guys gear up for it?

Whats your methods to cover everything. With no major gaps. 

 

One of my biggest issues is I don't get to go as much as I want. So I'm like Starvin Marvin at the China Buffett. I want it all!

 

 

Edited by PSegnatelli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i carry a plano 3700 with everything i could need in my backpack, theres bucktails, grubs, bunch of kastmaster, couple magdarters, and yozuri longcast, a roll of leader, small filet knife, medical scisors, a small frontal headlight, a small folding split ring plier, some lead and hooks. all this fits in the plano box, the backpack is only so i can bring extra clothing, something to drink, a pair of gloves, and also bring back some fish.

K.I.S.S.  keep it stupid simple. and keep it under 5 pounds. if it dosnt fit in the plano, it stays home, ill do with something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m pretty minimal as a fly fisher. I keep a soft water bottle tucked above my wading belt. A spool or two of leader, flies in ziplocks, a pair of nippers and forceps, and maybe a small snack or two depending on the day. All of this goes into a 1l waist pack that I sling across my shoulder. 

 

I know flies are usually more compressible, but I bet in each outing you could narrow it down to 12 lures or so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I'm tryin to lighten my load. Mainly because carrying heavy stuff wears me down.  

 

I have a hard time not bringing a crapton of lures!  

 

I've even tried just bringing my favorites, but then my anxiety ridden brain talks me into bringing backups and backup backups!  

 

How do u guys gear up for it?

Whats your methods to cover everything. With no major gaps. 

 

One of my biggest issues is I don't get to go as much as I want. So I'm like Starvin Marvin at the China Buffett. I want it all!

 

 


Don’t cut back.  If you have a few bucks, check out * 

 

 

Edited by TimS
Please don’t post commercial sites here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

plugging for hours at night tend to hurt your shoulder the longer you fish specially without a single bite. I usually carry sp's, darter, top water and some buck tails along 11 ft. rod 1/2 to 3 oz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i carry too much stuff but it never seems like enough..lol..its all the lead that does me in i carry no less than 10  4-6 oz jigs plus all the other poppers and plugs i never throw...just feels like the one day i lighten the load im gonna need what i left behind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At 68 years young, I try to keep my load to a minimum. Usually fish (plug) for 3-4 hours & always on the move it’s the only way to go. Only carry 3 topwater plugs, 4 epoxy jigs, 2 sp’s, 4 pre tied leaders, small plier & scissor. A water bottle and some snacks. Currently using a light 9 ft ODM Rod and a Stradic 4000  fl with 20 lb. braid. Good luck to all and stay safe!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fish close to the truck...

 

Will over pack bags if I think I'll have to do a difficult wade to get back and forth or if I'm planning on being on a jetty tip for a couple hours. Always bring a water bottle or sports drink. 

 

Sometimes I just grab a couple bucktails or tins in a very small pouch and travel real light. I never forget pliers, extra leaders, water and teaser flies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I try to go as light as possible and I interchange from the bag going on a belt or on a strap. I always have my Boga and pliers on me at all times and occasionally a light. I always try to have one of everything in my bag such as swimbaits, metal, topwater, etc. I myself can handle some heavy loads but not too crazy, I would say I'm ready for most if not all situations to happen on the surf 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 plugs, 3 bucktails/jig heads, 3 tins, pouch of soft plastics, spare leader spool, pliers, lip grip, measuring tape. Snag hook and a few circle hooks if there's big bait around.
 

Also I keep TA clips on my car keys so technically I always carry those :howdy:

661440F1-980C-4AC9-B060-98CA40B7CAB2.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 mins ago, Sir Defyable said:

3 plugs, 3 bucktails/jig heads, 3 tins, pouch of soft plastics, spare leader spool, pliers, lip grip, measuring tape. Snag hook and a few circle hooks if there's big bait around.
 

Also I keep TA clips on my car keys so technically I always carry those :howdy:

661440F1-980C-4AC9-B060-98CA40B7CAB2.jpeg

I like that idea. I have a 3 tube plug bag I can convert to 4 with the water bottle holder if I want. I keep a leader wallet on it.  I rarely switch out leaders unless I'm running rocks or run into a school of toothy critters which I try to avoid.  Usually the damage is near the clip so I can cut and replace.  :howdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Either not enough, or too d@mn much. Cannot seem to find the Goldilocks “just right” except on rare occasions 

Edited by Otony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Glad I'm not alone!!

 

I don't really fish alot of plugs.  Mainly jigs w/ Gulp & metal. 

But I also use bait alot so I carry my lead box & hook box. Plus tools. 

 

It's all in a soft sided tackle w/ shoulder strap. Gotta be over 10lbs. Plus water, always have atleast a half gallon with me, sandspike, floating livewell (meat fisherman ) but thats basically a pool noodle and a mesh laundry bag, more bulky than anything. 

And then! If I'm planning a long walk to a jetty or inlet I bring my 5gal bucket w/lid, mainly for a chair.  Sometimes I get dizzy and have to sit.  But god forbid I have an empty bucket! Gotta fill that up !  Salted squid and clams, bunker oil, gulp juice, cribbage board. U name it!  

 

Give you a perfect example of how my thoughts pan out. 

 

One day I'm fishing a jetty with my nephew. We see a squid swim by. Try to catch it. Can't. I buy a squid jig. Never seen another squid swim by me since. But I still refuse to not bring the jig! It can be a 100degree midday trip. I will bring that jig, even thou I am 95% sure I will not see a squid!  But that 5%, it eats at me!!

 

I need an intervention. 

Edited by PSegnatelli
I spell like an over caffinated chimp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jerome gagnon said:

i carry a plano 3700 with everything i could need in my backpack, theres bucktails, grubs, bunch of kastmaster, couple magdarters, and yozuri longcast, a roll of leader, small filet knife, medical scisors, a small frontal headlight, a small folding split ring plier, some lead and hooks. all this fits in the plano box, the backpack is only so i can bring extra clothing, something to drink, a pair of gloves, and also bring back some fish.

K.I.S.S.  keep it stupid simple. and keep it under 5 pounds. if it dosnt fit in the plano, it stays home, ill do with something else.

I'm envious man. 

 

I started with one Plano. Turned into 3.  Then I thought "get smaller boxes. They'll weigh less!"  Now I have 6 boxes in my bag....

 

Foldin split ring plier is intriguing. I'm gonna have to look into that!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.